One side of double breaker won't reset

Old 04-19-16, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One side of double breaker won't reset

Hello all.

I have a double (tandem) breaker with 20A each. The top 20A breaker running my jacuzzi is working fine. However, the bottom 20A breaker that running my bathroom light, bedroom light, and the outlet in the bedroom won't reset after the storm.

I have tried to swap the circuit breaker with the exact same breaker and it's doing the same thing on that line.

I have unplugged and turn off everything that are on the same line and the circuit breaker still won't reset.

I have turned the breaker off all the way and then turn it on. Once I turned it on, it automatically turn red showing it tripped immediately.

Please help

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-16, 07:35 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Disconnect the wire to the problem side of the breaker. If it still won't reset you need a new breaker.

Old 04-19-16, 07:53 AM
I have put in a working breaker to the line and it is doing the same thing. Breaker is not the problem

Old 04-19-16, 08:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
I have never seen a tandem breaker with the trip window.

It is now an Easter egg hunt to find the short. You will need to start opening boxes until you find it.

Old 04-19-16, 09:45 AM

It is now an Easter egg hunt to find the short. You will need to start opening boxes until you find it
I'll try to post a picture for you. Sound like I need to call the electrician to find the short

Old 04-19-16, 10:04 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sound like I need to call the electrician to find the short
Not unless you can't find it. Start at the junction box closest to the breaker box*. First look for the obvious. Nothing obvious look at the next. Leave the devices connected but hanging out, wires not touching, at each box and test after looking.

*Jbox closest to the breaker box may not be the first but often is and you have to start somewhere.

Old 04-19-16, 11:31 AM

Old 04-19-16, 01:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Thanks for the picture. .

Old 04-28-16, 07:48 AM
Ok I finally called an electrician and he was able to find the short wires but he can't fix my problem due to the wire is behind the wall.

Anyways, I ran the new wire from the 1st receptacle to the next and everything works fine.

However, due to the location of it. I was unable to drill the holes through the 2x4 to run my new wire so I run the wire along the front of the 2x4. Do you think this will be a problem once I put the molding back?

Old 04-28-16, 08:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The cabling looks too close to the surface. Code is 1.25" from the nailing face.

Old 04-28-16, 08:02 PM
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
They way you ran the wire can be dangerous because it is so close to the surface.
I assume this is outer wall (which will be a load bearing wall) since I see some insulation.

The correct way to fix this is to cut the ceiling (or ceiling below) and do horizontal run in the ceiling.

Another option I can suggest is using wire channel and running wire outside of the wall. It can be painted to match your wall color if you want.

You can also run wire outside of your house using UF-b wire if you don't mind visible wire outside.