Can I take power from light fixture?

Old 04-20-16, 05:11 AM
Can I take power from light fixture?

I think I know but I have to ask: Can I use a light fixture to bring power to a new set of lights?

I want to install some pot lights in my living room/dining room and I want them on a different circuit. The current circuit is full (here in Canada we have a 12 device max on circuits). I have a circuit in the basement that has only 4 devices on it and it would be perfect for me to use. Problem is that it is a lighting circuit.

Logic tells me that, because of the switch, I will not be able to just attach a wire onto the last light fixture and bring it upstairs to a switch and the pot lights. Am I right?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-16, 06:04 AM
Not knowing the Canada code can't comment if you can do this by code. But in some cases power does originate at the light fixture and then switch loops are used at the switch itself. But no way for me to know if this is the set up you have. Only way to know is to turn off the switch that controls the lights in the basement and see if any of the wires in the light fixture boxes are still live. That would be a starting point.

Old 04-20-16, 06:50 AM
Thanks AFJES. The power goes to the light switch first and then on to the lights. I will check for live wires in the light fixtures, but I think I will have to come up with a different source.