Running Line for 25,000 BTU AC

Old 04-20-16, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running Line for 25,000 BTU AC

Hi, I am looking at running a 230V line for a 25,000 BTU AC to an addition on the backside of my house. Unfortunately I do not have an attic on that addition so I cannot run the wire through the attic. This is an old house and the breaker panel is on the outside wall so I was thinking about running cable through conduit on the outside of the house. The cable run will be right at 100' or a little less with the turns. I was wondering if you could give me some input on if it would be ok to run 3(RED, BLACK, and White or Green) single strand THHN #10 in plastic 1/2" conduit. I know you're not supposed to run Romex in conduit. Also with it being around a 100' run #10 should be fine correct? With the AC I'm looking at it's draws roughly 12 amps on cool. At this point I'm not 100 percent sure if the whole run will be run on the out side of the house or if I will run it through the attic as far as I can then run conduit from that point which would only be about 20 feet. If anyone can kindly help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-16, 05:15 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
if you could give me some input on if it would be ok to run 3(RED, BLACK, and White or Green) single strand THHN #10 in plastic 1/2" conduit.
You don't need the white conductor, but you MUST have the green one. I totally agree with using separate individual conductors, but the THHN must be dual rated as THHN/THWN; almost all of it is dual rated. I don't think you need to upsize to #10s at that length, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

Old 04-20-16, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
I would recommend up sizing the PVC conduit to 3/4". 1/2" PVC can be difficult to pull wires into unless it is a straight run with no 90 degree bends.

Old 04-20-16, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Awesome, I thought I was headed in the right direction I just wanted a little reassurance. I was a little worried about the 1/2" so I will go with the 3/4", not much of a price difference anyway and if it makes it easier it will be well worth it. I will have a couple 90 degree bends.

Thanks everyone for your replies.