Light Socket Outlet Adapter

Old 04-20-16, 07:31 PM
Light Socket Outlet Adapter

I have a question regarding those light socket adapter that allow you to screw into a light socket and added an inline switched outlet in the process.

What are some of the things to watch out for when using an outlet like this? Is there some sort of wattage restriction on what you can plug into it? I am thinking you can't plug in anything "heavy duty" to it because it is going through the lighting fixture's wiring and components.

Can you put this on an exterior wall sconce and hook up say a string of Christmas lights?

Also it does not have ground.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-16, 10:12 PM
Group Moderator
Never liked those things. The plugs always fit loose and the adapter wouldn't stay tight in the socket causing the adapter to burn.

The actual wattage should be right on it. In years gone by they were 660watts.

Plugging in a set of LED Christmas lamps should be acceptable. I wouldn't connect anything over 100watts.

..... and you're right..... it doesn't have a ground.

Old 04-20-16, 10:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another problem is many light fixtures now days don't have a full shell. The adapter pictured has a full shell, but you might be screwing it into a fixture that only has a small tab for the neutral contact.

From my experience, the neutral tabs do not make good contact.

Old 04-21-16, 04:56 AM
They are only good for temporary extension light. However, the porcelain light sockets with grounded outlet are better. But they are only as good as the wire size and amp rating of the circuit. IMHO never use except foe lamp extension.

Old 04-21-16, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
One other thing to mention is if that is installed in a location such as an unfinished basement or garage (or any other place that requires GFCI protection) it is required to be GFCI protected.