Power from light switch

Old 04-21-16, 12:52 PM
Power from light switch

I posted earlier about taking power from a lighting circuit in my basement (it has 4 lights on it) in order to add 8 new (led) pot lights in a dining/living room. Because power is going into the switch first, I will have to take power from the switch and I think I have a plan but would like someone to check it for me.

1.bring new 14-2 cable into existing switch box
2.tie whites together
3.attach black from new cable to the hot leg of the existing switch

This is my first question: As there are two wires in the switch box, do I need a pig tail to add the third wire to the switch?

The next question is with power coming from the switch, can I run that upstairs into a new 3-way switch that will power the lights I wish to add in that room? I will add a second 3-way at the other end of the room.

My final question is whether this is an acceptable way to do this project or should I be taking power from some other source? I guess I'm asking if this is the most elegant solution? My biggest fear is that after I sell my home, some home improvement show is going to come in and show the 50-60 people who are watching how stupid my electrical work was...

PS: I will be calling for an electrical inspection.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-16, 01:02 PM
Sorry: Forgot to mention the switch I will be accessing is a single-pole, if that's important.

Old 04-21-16, 01:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally you would want to pigtail the constant-hot in the switchbox with a wirenut as screw terminals are mostly rated for only one wire. High-end devices can accept two, but if you have one of those it should be evident.

The plan sounds OK to me, but I don't know the total device limitation in Canadian code. In terms of load of 8 LED lights it will have no negative impact on the circuit capacity.

Old 04-21-16, 01:40 PM
That's what I was thinking ibpooks. Pigtail from the switch connection and then wirenut all three black wires together. That way there is only one wire on the switch terminal.

Our device max up here is 12. That's why I like the basement light circuit as it only has 4 lights on it. The new lights will make it 12 but the load with led lamps should not be an issue at all. We do have an exemption on the 12 devices if the total load stays under 12 amps on a 15 amp circuit, I believe.

Thanks