Re-locate doorbell button

Old 04-22-16, 05:32 AM
Re-locate doorbell button

We're considering repositioning our front doorbell so that it remains wired and is better positioned for a ring.com product (see photo). The wall behind the doorbell and at the new doorbell position is cinderblock, which may be filled with cement (we're not sure). Behind the wall (at the old and proposed doorbell position) is a clothes closet. Is it possible to move the doorbell position and rewire it at the new position? If it is, is a difficult job?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-16, 06:32 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Where is the transformer, in the cellar? I think that it would be easier to move the plant.

Old 04-22-16, 06:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Getting the wire from the transformer to the new location is the difficult part. How far is the side of the side lite from the corner of the wall? Don't forget you'd also need to patch/paint where the button is currently after you abandon it. I assume the house is on a slab ?Transformer is probably in a closet.

btw - welcome to the forums!

I don't know much about them but abandoning that doorbell completely and installing a wireless doorbell might be a better option.

Last edited by marksr; 04-22-16 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
The OP wants to install a Ring doorbell. That is wireless and connects to the internet but requires power.

If the closet is directly behind the switch location then you can drill all the way thru the wall into the closet.

Old 04-22-16, 08:22 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I missed the ring.com part. Besides that, I don't understand the fetish with wireless door bells & thermostats. They seem so insecure & hackable, to me.

Old 04-22-16, 10:35 AM
Thanks, all for the comments. We've been thinking this project through a bit more. In the photo above you can see that the doorbell hides behind the hurricane shutters we had installed. It's possible this position might still work. We'll have to test it under battery power to see if the hurricane shutters block the view too much. We won't know until we test it.

We could just use the ring.com product with batteries so we can place it anywhere, but we prefer to hard-wire it if we can.

The transformer is in the garage. The doorbell wiring is the issue. The transformer can stay where it is--right?

An alternative to re-positioning the doorbell is to build something on the current doorbell spot that moves the doorbell away from the wall a bit--perhaps a piece of 4x4 with holes drilled to allow the doorbell wires through the middle and to mount it to the wall with two masonry screws top and bottom. We'd then caulk it and paint it so that it matches the house paint. Any suggestions on how else we might move the doorbell out about 5-6 inches from the wall at its current position?

Thanks.

Old 04-22-16, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Any suggestions on how else we might move the doorbell out about 5-6 inches from the wall at its current position?
That makes it sound like you want to have the button 5-6" off the wall.

I would follow the path in blue. Drill horizontally from the stucco to the new button.

Name:  doorbell.jpg
Views: 10155
Size:  41.4 KB

Old 04-23-16, 05:48 AM
That makes it sound like you want to have the button 5-6" off the wall.
Thanks, PJmax. That's correct. It seems that it would be easier to do it this way than drill through all the cinderblock and stucco to reposition the doorbell. I was thinking of using even a sturdy, appropriately sized plastic container, mounted upside down on the wall, and then painting it to match the wall color. Anything else I could use to move the doorbell about 5-6 inches out from its current position?

Old 04-23-16, 08:31 AM
Group Moderator
Nothing else comes to mind.

Old 04-23-16, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
To gain about 3" you could use a surface mount Wiremold box with a blank cover plate with your chime button mounted on the cover plate or a cover plate with a push button.

Name:  Wiremold-NM2044_m.jpg
Views: 8245
Size:  24.2 KB

Name:  C-913.jpg
Views: 8282
Size:  14.7 KB

Or go a little wild. Example: http://www.camdencontrols.com/products/CM_7000_Series

Old 04-23-16, 03:48 PM
To gain about 3" you could use a surface mount Wiremold box with a blank cover plate with your chime button mounted on the cover plate or a cover plate with a push button.
Interesting suggestion. Thanks! I'll look in to that.