Outlet No Juice, Not the breaker

Old 04-23-16, 11:51 AM
Outlet No Juice, Not the breaker

I have an electrical outlet in my kitchen that just stopped working. There is no fuse blown and everything else on the same breaker is working fine. I removed the outlet and tested the wires and there is no juice. How do I fix this and where do I find the problem? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-16, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Knowing everything on a circuit is a good thing.

You will need to work backwards. The problem is not at the receptacle that is dead but is most likely at the previous one. Check the next nearest receptacle/device that is live and on that circuit.

If you find receptacles with wires pushed into the back of them.... that is a major issue. The wires need to be moved to the side screws.

Old 04-23-16, 12:15 PM
That is the only thing on the circuit that is not working. The wires have no juice, Ive checked it with a wire tester, (sorry, dont know the name of it!).

Old 04-23-16, 12:32 PM
Group Moderator
Ive checked it with a wire tester
We do, nice toy better known as a non contact tester. Non contact testers are not useful for serious testing. You will need an analog multimeter. Do you have one?
There is no fuse blown and everything else on the same breaker is working fine
Normally you would not have both breakers and fuses. What do you have?
That is the only thing on the circuit that is not working.
Then as stated starting at the closest working outlet*. Move any back stabs to the screws and redo any wire nut connections.

*Outlet can be a switch, a light, or a receptacle.

Old 04-23-16, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
So this is a direct line.... with no splices.... between the panel and the dead receptacle.
What type of tester... a light up neon tester, a non contact tester, a meter with two probes ?

Old 04-25-16, 08:27 AM
How do I figure out if it is direct to box? But everything else I tried works. The tester is just a simple two prong with a light on the end. What will an analog multimeter do that this isn't telling me? My tester says there is no juice coming through the wires correct?

Old 04-25-16, 10:12 AM
Another idea...

Make sure there is no GFCI outlet that has tripped. If a GFCI trips, everything after that stops working. Unless your kitchen is older, there is likely a GFCI in there somewhere.

I have a GFCI in my home near the breaker box. It ends up going to an outside outlet. Each year, at least one of the Christmas decorations end up tripping the GFCI. First time it happened, I went crazy trying to figure out why the electric stopped working. The connection wasn't immediately obvious.

Seems like the easiest first step.

Old 04-25-16, 10:30 AM
I know... I looked and none of our outlets are GFCI. They are the ones with the "test reset" button. I need to update them to be GFCI in the future. There is a blue breaker that I turned off and on and that did nothing either... I also double-checked to make sure all the breakers are pushed all the way on. Any other ideas??

Old 04-25-16, 10:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pushing breakers on will do nothing. Have to shut off and than on to reset. Look for closest outlet to problem one,