12V LED waterproof strip around pool

Old 04-28-16, 06:09 AM
12V LED waterproof strip around pool

Hello All,

I'm looking to start a project of running 12V LED Waterproof Strip around a pool. I was thinking buying waterproof LED strip on ebay and using my existing pool lighting power source to power it up. There are existing 24V and 120V yard light that I can tapped in for power source for the LED strip.

Is there any NEC code that I really need to be aware of when running 12V LED strip?

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-16, 07:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Very much so. Low voltage lighting of any kind is not permitted within 10' of the rim of the pool. NEC 411.4. The very real risk is that GFCI cannot protect the secondary of the transformer, meaning a shock is possible on the low voltage side even if the primary voltage is GFCI protected.

The only exception is a low-voltage system which is specifically designed and listed for for use around or in a pool. In that case, it would need to be installed according to NEC and manufacturer specs which I believe reduces the 10' distance to 5' from the pool rim.

Old 04-28-16, 01:41 PM
Very much so. Low voltage lighting of any kind is not permitted within 10' of the rim of the pool. NEC 411.4. The very real risk is that GFCI cannot protect the secondary of the transformer, meaning a shock is possible on the low voltage side even if the primary voltage is GFCI protected.

The only exception is a low-voltage system which is specifically designed and listed for for use around or in a pool. In that case, it would need to be installed according to NEC and manufacturer specs which I believe reduces the 10' distance to 5' from the pool rim.
I reading the NEC 2011 code but not quite understanding it. See if you can help me out

According to NEC 411.4B
Lightning systems shall be installed not less than 10ft horizontally from the nearest edge of the water, unless permitted by Article 680.

When you go to Article 680, this cover all luminaires that is under 30V, does this mean 411.4B does not apply to my 12V LED strip?

Old 04-29-16, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
NEC 680.22 (C) Luminaires and Ceiling Fans (1) New Outdoor Installations is pretty direct here:

Luminaires and ceiling fans installed above the water, or the area extending within 5 ft horizontally from the inside walls of a permantently installed pool, outdoor spa, or outdoor hot tub must not be less than 12 ft above the maximum water level.

Luminaire means any type of light fixture. This article means that no lighting is allowed within 5 feet of the side of the pool or up to 12 feet over the pool.

Continuing in section (4) Adjacent Areas.

New luminaries installed between 5 ft and 10 ft horizontally, and not more than 5 ft above the maximum water level of a permantently installed pool, outdoor spa or outdoor hot tub must be GFCI protected.

This section means that lighting between 5 feet and 10 feet from the pool must be GFCI protected. Low voltage lighting cannot be GFCI protected, therefore is not not allowed in this zone.