Extending stovetop wiring, what gauge to use?

Old 04-30-16, 03:54 PM
Extending stovetop wiring, what gauge to use?

I am replacing an old Jenn-Air stovetop, with a much newer (but also used) Jenn-Air stovetop. Both have 4 burners with a downdraft blower. But, the newer stovetop's built in junction box is about 2 feet farther away...so I'm going to have to extend the wiring to reach the new stovetop. The house has 8 gauge running straight from the breaker box all the way to the stovetop's built in junction box (no other junctions currently in between). I can add a junction box within the cabinet, and add the new 2-3 foot extension to the new stovetop, and should be simple, right?). But I noticed...BOTH the old and new stovetops have 12 gauge coming out of the actual appliance. Also, according to labels on both old and new stovetops are 7KW. Per the paperwork found online, the recommended minimum wiring should be 8 gauge, 40 amps. I just find it strange that the appliance itself has 12 gauge wire, but recommends it be connected to 8 guage in the house. Is that typical and normal? All that said, then does it really matter if the 2-3 feet of wiring that I add is 8 guage, or 12 guage? Either way, it will have BOTH 8 and 12 guage wire along the run. Lastly, if buy 3 feet of wire sold by the foot at a large warehouse store...what specific wire do I look for?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-16, 04:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome!
You want to extend the house wiring using 8-3 with ground, even though you're only going a few feet. Use the deepest junction box you can find to make the wiring easier and be sure to pigtail a ground to the metal box.

Post back if the existing cable is not 3 conductor with ground. The small wires inside the appliance and whip are special high temp wires and shouldn't be confused with house cables or wires.

Old 04-30-16, 04:51 PM
Thanks

Thank you for the quick reply! I'll confirm the wiring tomorrow and reply again if it is not as you described. Thanks also for explaining the difference in the 8 vs 12 wiring. Does the junction box need to be the metal kind, or can I use the heavy plastic kind? It is already running through the heavy plastic flexible 3/4" conduit. When you mention the ground, do you mean coming from the stovetop and connect it to the junction box?

Old 04-30-16, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm going to need help on what box to use with the 3/4" plastic flex, It's not something you normally see out here.

Old 05-01-16, 10:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wonder if the cable was sleeved?

Old 05-01-16, 06:27 PM
Assuming the original circuit is NM cable (aka Romex), is there a ground? In other words, is it 8-3 plain or 8-3/wGrd. If it is a 3 wire circuit with no ground it cannot be extended.