Wiring a dual switch to a dimmer and fan

Old 05-07-16, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a dual switch to a dimmer and fan

So I am trying to take an exisitng two switch panel and make it so one side controls the dimmable lights attached to the ceiling fan and the other side controls the fan speeds and the fan itself. There was already a fan attached, but the right side of the panel seems to control the AC outlet below it. Here's what I got When I disconnect the original switches from the wall:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65915[/ATTACH]

AFter some messing around this is what I came up with (i'm a noob and learning as I go). In this pic the dimmer switch functions properly, but I can't seem to find the proper combination to get the fan working:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65916[/ATTACH]

There is a set of black wires attached to a nut and set of white wires attached to a nut. Theres also one standalone red wire coming from the box. I know I need to leave the red and white striped wire on the fan switch capped and unattached, but how do I get the fan up and running from the wall? The dimmer switch works perfectly, but the fan not so muhc.

Any and all help is appreciated!!!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-16, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 479 Votes on 449 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In your application it sounds like there is only one usable wire/conductor to the ceiling fan area where you would need two.

I see a red wire on the fan switch..... you need to open the fan canopy and see if you have a three wire cable feeding it and what the black wire is doing up there.

Old 05-07-16, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
The standalone red may be the lead going to the fan. Can you drop the canopy and tell us the connections at the ceiling for the fan? How is the fan controlled now?

Old 05-09-16, 09:38 AM
So I removed the fan from the ceiling and this is what I found coming out of the ceiling

Name:  IMG_20160509_112603.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  35.0 KB

Now what?

Last edited by ray2047; 05-09-16 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Increase image size so it was easily viewable.
Old 05-09-16, 09:42 AM
The fan as of now is strictly controlled by the pull switches hanging from it

Old 05-09-16, 03:44 PM
I had two ceiling fans+light fixtures wired to various 3/4-way switches in my home. The way it was set up wasn't ideal. The internal wiring left me with very few options to fix the situation. Not the same problem as the OP, but a similarly difficult situation to remedy.

You might take a look at this:

Shop Lutron Maestro White Combination Dimmer and Fan Control at Lowes.com

The linked page has a link to the install manual to give a better idea of how it connects.

I have no idea if this is compatible with your fan/light unit. If it is, it may provide a solution.

This involved placing a controller unit in the fan canopy. You then only need to run one hot/neutral to the fixture. This will give you a one switch for the fan (adjustable speeds) and another for the light (dimmable).

There are various colors available. This model-series allows for 3-way operation. There is also a version that allows for single-switch operation and has a wireless IR remote. You would need to look through the options to see which exact Maestro switch fits your situation.

I realize the OP wants one switch for the light and another for the fan. This switch is a single gang unit for both. However, that will still allow for one of the original switches to control the switched outlet (not necessarily a bad thing).

Hope this helps.

BTW - I may not be understanding the wire setup as shown. It seems you had two switches. One controlled the fan/light and the other controlled a switched outlet. Fan speed was controlled by a pull chain (but neither fan or light would work with the wall switch off). You then replaced the fan switch with a dimmer. Not sure what you put on the other switch.

If I understand this correctly, then you have a problem. If the fan and light power were both controlled by one switch, you can NOT use a dimmer there. While it will sim the lights, that will harm the fan motor. To have variable fan speed from the wall switch, you need to install a controller as per the setup described above.

If my understanding of the setup is not correct, then ignore that last part.

Old 05-09-16, 04:09 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
At the ceiling:
The White wire of the fan goes to the white house wire.
The black fan wire goes to the black fan wire.
The blue fan wire goes to the red houses wire.
Grounds per code.

At the switch the load out of the dimmer goes to the red house wire.
At the switch the load out wire of the speed control goes to the black wire.
The black of power in is connected to the other side of both switches.
All whites connected together.
Grounds per code.

Old 05-09-16, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
You are showing us a piece of three wire cable. That's good. That means you should be able to do what you want.

Can we assume that the switch controlling the receptacle will remain ?
Can you carefully pull the wires out of the switchbox so that I can see the connections. We are in particularly looking for the black wire that comes from the same cable as the left switch red wire.

Name:  IMG_20160423_112514.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 05-10-16, 08:00 AM
The fan itself has never been controlled by a switch, even before when I would turn the lights off at the switch the fan would continue to run until the chain was pulled.

Old 05-10-16, 04:19 PM
Here ya go:

Old 05-10-16, 07:01 PM
Do you want both sides of the receptacle to be always on? That would be the easiest way to do it.

Old 05-10-16, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the awesome pics.

Nah.... leave the right switch alone. It can stay. Look at the red wire that goes to the left switch. Follow it into the box. You'll see it go into a three wire cable. The black wire of that same three wire cable is currently always live and connects to the black splice. Remove that wire from the black splice. That will become the switched fan line. The red will be for the light. Whites stay as they are.

Old 05-10-16, 08:17 PM
Tp expand on what Pete wrote: From my post #7
At the ceiling:
The White wire of the fan goes to the white house wire.
The black fan wire goes to the black fan wire.
The blue fan wire goes to the red houses wire.
Grounds per code.

At the switch the load out of the dimmer goes to the red house wire to the fan.
At the switch the load out wire of the speed control goes to the black wire to the fan.
The black of "power in' is connected to the other side of the switches.
All whites connected together.
Grounds per code.

Old 05-11-16, 09:06 AM
What do I do with the black wire that is currently connected to both switches? Disconnect the black from the fan and just leave it connected to the light side?

Old 05-11-16, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Disconnect the black from the fan and just leave it connected to the light side?
Yes. The dual switch still needs power too.... so keep that in mind.

Old 05-11-16, 10:35 AM
Does this help you? If not post back with any questions. Note I guessed about the receptacle but if it follows standard wiring convention and has a 3-conductor cable that should be correct.

Name:  G.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  25.5 KB

Fan Wiring.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  19.1 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 05-11-16 at 11:57 AM.