Joists run the wrong way for wiring

Old 05-07-16, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joists run the wrong way for wiring

Well I had a "plan" to run wire up from a switch controlled outlet and to the center of the room for an overhead light. Figured the joists went the same way as the room I ran into this problem with that is 10 ft away but of course they don't... Always happens. In the other room we used a 4 ft flexible bit. Worked good. But now we have to go like 8 ft. Is this possible with a bit or am I looking and a total gut job on the ceiling?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-16, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
It is possible with a long bit but it's risky as you don't know what is up there that you could hit.

Can you go down to the basement and then come up in an adjacent wall ?
No matter which way you go... there is going to be some required patching.

Old 05-07-16, 09:35 PM
Thanks. Yeah I can't come through the basement which sucks. 1940 house with some additions. We already drilled a hole in the top of the wall and right next to it in the ceiling. I think the best bet from here is to just trench it and drill each hole and patch it. Think it's better to try and patch that (5" x 8ft) or just put a whole new layer of rock up and do the whole ceiling? Just haven't had the best luck with patches.

I really don't think anything should be in the way with the bit route though. We don't have duct work or anything. Just torn. Would be nice to just patch a 4 inch hole that half would be covered by crown molding anyways...

Last edited by kallas08; 05-07-16 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Autocorrects
Old 05-07-16, 10:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Run the wire tight to the ceiling and then add crown molding.

Old 05-07-16, 10:15 PM
Not sure what you mean. I have to get the wire to the middle of the room. Adding a ceiling light from a switch controlled outlet

Old 05-08-16, 01:10 AM
I usually cut a hole at every second ceiling joist and drill using a right angle drill and stubby spade bit. I also use spade bit extensions. You can get pretty far with just a few holes in the ceiling.
Depending on the drywall texture, you can patch the holes or you might need to retexture the entire ceiling.

Old 05-08-16, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Once you cross the joist bays you can fish from the center of the room over to the wall.