Submersible wire to UF

Old 05-10-16, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Submersible wire to UF

I need about 50ft of submersible wire spliced to a submersible pump in a well. I'm wondering if as soon as it comes above ground if I can splice it to UF cable and bury it for 20ft and then plug it into a gfci mounted on a nearby lamppost.
Also, is liquid electrical tape the best thing to use to make the under water connection water tight? Any alternatives?
It's a 115v pump so thinking 12 of 14 awg for the run of wire.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-16, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
For connections in a wet or underwater environment I would use well pump butt splices. You crimp the metal butt splice on the conductors then heat the special heat shrink tubing starting from the center working out to the ends. If you do it right you see the glue/sealant squirt out the ends indicating that it's sealed around the wire.

Old 05-10-16, 07:28 PM
Can you use UF inside the well submersed? I've read posts where many people do that as they say it is the same as submersible wire if not better.

Old 05-10-16, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 473 Votes on 444 Posts
In my opinion.... you cannot use UF cable submersed in your application. The way I read it..... the UF jacket can be submersed but not the individual conductors. When you open the jacket to make the splice.... you lose the complete water proof part of the cable.

You'd need to use submersible pump cable. southwire/ProductCatalogKey=prodcatsheet172

Name:  spc.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  44.7 KB

Old 05-11-16, 04:46 AM
But when the splice is made, it then gets covered in liquid electrical tape/ a waterproof splice connection? So, it's effectively jacketed again?
I'm assuming that the submersible is more expensive than UF? It's also just because I have spare UF in my electrical stash

2nd part, the lamppost I want to put the GFCI on already has a sodium light running on it on a 15A circuit (night time security light). The pump draws 5.6A but will it draw more when it initially turns on? Think it's ok to put a GFCI on the same circuit? Actually, it's more white than yellow sodium...(metal halide)?

Last edited by qwertyjjj; 05-11-16 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-11-16, 03:50 PM
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
I can splice it to UF cable and bury it for 20ft and then plug it into a gfci mounted on a nearby lamppost.
No, you cannot put a cord cap (aka plug) on UF cable.

Old 05-11-16, 04:49 PM
hardwired into the gfci.
hardwired into the gfci.