Need help installing side by side GFCI's

Old 05-11-16, 08:03 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help installing side by side GFCI's

Hello,

New forum user here. I'm looking for some advice on installing two GFCI's side by side in my kitchen. They're the traditional kind with black test and red reset buttons. I assume that I connect the incoming power lines to the Line terminals on GCCI 1. But how are the other connections made? Do I connect the Load terminals of GFCI 1 to the Load terminals of GFCI 2, and then the outgoing lines to the Line terminals of GFCI 2? Or is it GFCI 1 Load to GFCI 2 Line?

Also, it's a tight fit in the electrical box. Should I take care to prevent the terminals of the two receptacles from contacting each other?

Any help with the procedure and terminology is appreciated.

Old 05-11-16, 08:07 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Are both outlets on the same circuit? If so, one GFCI receptacle can protect both. A GFCI receptacle provides protection to any downstream devices connected to the LOAD terminals. If you want to keep them separate, only use the LINE terminals.

Old 05-11-16, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The mounting holes will prevent contact between the two devices.

Old 05-11-16, 08:13 PM
B
Thank you ib and pc for the replies. The receptacles are on the same circuit. I see what you mean about the one protecting the other downstream of it. When I press Test on GFCI 1, power is cut off to both of them (they are connected via jumpers to the Load terminals on both).

The strange thing is that the Test button on GFCI 2 has no effect. Are you saying that to keep them separated I should connect GFCI 1 to the power in lines via the Line terminals, and the power out lines to GFCI 2 via the Line terminals, leaving both receptacle Load terminals vacant? Wouldn't that result in a break in the circuit. I just assumed that two receptacles side by side needed to be connected by jumpers.

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-11-16, 09:17 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
When I press Test on GFCI 1, power is cut off to both of them (they are connected via jumpers to the Load terminals on both
They shouldn't be. If you have two GFCIs power should go to the line side of the second GFCI and to prevent possible problems come from the line side of the first GFCI.
Are you saying that to keep them separated I should connect GFCI 1 to the power in lines via the Line terminals, and the power out lines to GFCI 2 via the Line terminals, leaving both receptacle Load terminals vacant?
Yes.
I just assumed that two receptacles side by side needed to be connected by jumpers.
I'd use pigtails just because it is easier to maneuver them in the box. The terminals on most GFCIs will take two wires so you can put both power in and jumper out to the second GFCI on the same terminal. However I'd suggest using only one GFCI.

Old 05-11-16, 10:28 PM
B
Thank you, Ray. I'll try the pigtail connections as you suggested to keep the Load terminals vacant. I found a diagram illustrating the connections as well as the connections for one GFCI and one standard receptacle. I've uploaded a pic of my two GFCI's also.

Name:  GFCI side by side.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  50.8 KB
Name:  GFCI.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  31.7 KB

Attached Images   
Old 05-11-16, 10:32 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The diagrams are what we have been explaining.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: