Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

What is customary in terms of how an electrician charges for work

What is customary in terms of how an electrician charges for work

Old 05-11-16, 11:58 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What is customary in terms of how an electrician charges for work

I am thinking about adding a handful of circuits in my house. The estimate I got basically line items each outlet. I would have thought that there might have been some 'economy of scale' to having all the work done at the same time. This makes it seem that there would be no difference if I had her run 3 outlets tomorrow and 6 in a month...

Just wondering if I should ask the electrician if this is strictly for estimating but the cost would boiled down to x per hour sort of thing?

I may end up doing this myself, I just was wanted to get this done faster than I can get to it

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-16, 12:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
There are no rules, people are free to bid as they see fit. I would recommend getting at least two more estimates so you can compare.

Old 05-11-16, 01:03 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
There are numerous different techniques for estimating jobs. It depends on the contractor's preference and the type of job being requested. It generally boils down to a fixed bid or time & materials estimate. If you get a fixed bid, that is what you pay regardless of the contractor's actual costs or time spent on the job. If you get a time & materials bid, you pay for the materials plus a per hour rate for the electrician and/or helpers for the duration of the job. The bid paperwork you get from the contractor should clearly state which type of bid they are submitting to you. It sounds like in this case they are bidding a fixed price for the job based on the number of outlets you requested. With either type of bid you should make sure to get in writing on the paperwork who is responsible for the additional costs like permit and inspection fees and any applicable taxes in your area. Whenever hiring a contractor, get a few estimates and choose the person who fits you best in terms of price, quality, professionalism, etc.

Old 05-11-16, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This makes it seem that there would be no difference if I had her run 3 outlets tomorrow and 6 in a month...
I don't think that would be the case. When running new cable, it pays to run all the cable at the same time.