Wiring inside poolhouse receptacles to external panel

Old 05-14-16, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring inside poolhouse receptacles to external panel

I've added two outlets to the inside of my unfinished poolhouse/shed (12 g wire). On the rear exterior of the poolhouse, I have a subpanel installed to which I plan to install a 20 amp breaker.

I'm comfortable with the wiring. However, I'm unsure as to how to run the wire from inside the house to the panel. As you can see from the pic, the contractor installed the panel and everything installed so far (pool lights/equip) is running through the back of the panel from inside the house. There's obviously no room to run additional wire through the current cutouts.

I assume I would run any additional wire through one of the available cutouts on the bottom of the panel? What would I need to do this? Would I need conduit with a locknut on the panel so the wire is not exposed to the elements (i.e., going from inside the pool house through bottom of the panel? Should I silicone the nut as well?

Other thoughts?

Sorry of this is basic but I've never wired an external panel before.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-16, 09:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
There are many ways to get inside. Unfortunately the shortest route is to come thru the back of the panel but now that the panel is installed that won't be too easy.

The easiest thing to do now is to either use UF cable from the bottom of the box into the first receptacle or get a weatherproof box just like the receptacle is in and go thru the back of the box to get inside.

So the second box would just have a blank plate on it.

Name:  wbox.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  25.6 KB

UF cable is waterproof and can be run from bottom of panel directly into the house.
Cerrowire 25 ft. 12/2 UF-B Cable -The Home Depot

Old 05-14-16, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 66 Votes on 58 Posts
You kind of put the cart before the horse by installing the outlets before running the wire, but it should still be OK.

Any cable run inside the pool house needs to be protected. This can be as easy as running the cable through drilled holes, or running conduit on the surface of the wall.

Any cable that is run outside is required to be wet rated (UF). If you go into the bottom of the panel you will need to protect the cable with conduit and that portion of the run would need to be UF. If you can, going through the back of the panel woul dbe the better option, but you would need to drill your own KO which would be a 7/8" hole. You will then also need to use a cable connector.

Of course all receptacles outside will need to be GFCI protected.