Basement wiring and lighting

Old 05-16-16, 10:04 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement wiring and lighting

My basement was previously wired for 6 lights. Now that I am finishing the basement 2 of those lights are no located in unfinished (utility areas). I would like to have lights on switches in these two rooms.

Instead of having to rewire all these (3 way) and save a ton on 250 feet of romex for two lights, can I simply remove the two fixtures in these rooms wire nut the wires together and close up the box with a plate leaving the wires connected so they run to the next light?

In order to wire in the new switches and lights for the utilities rooms I have currently have two 20 amp outlet runs in the basement. Each has 8 outlets on it. Can I add onto these (1 light light and switch for each) and run a line from the last outlet to the "new switch" in the utility room and then up to a new receptacle box for the new light? Or do lights have to be on independent circuits than the outlets?

Thanks

Old 05-16-16, 10:10 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
an I simply remove the two fixtures in these rooms wire nut the wires together and close up the box with a plate leaving the wires connected so they run to the next light?
Yes, so long as the blank plates remain accessible.

Old 05-16-16, 10:21 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Laundry, kitchen small appliance, and bathroom receptacle circuits cannot have lights (or anything else) on the same circuit. Otherwise it's ok to mix. I usually avoid it to avoid having the lights go out if something plugged in blows a breaker, but it's not against code.

Wiring it as you describe will give you a neutral in the switch box, which is now required.

Old 05-16-16, 10:26 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is under a drop ceiling tile considered accessible?

Old 05-16-16, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The drop ceiling is considered accessible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: