subpanel question

Old 05-17-16, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
subpanel question

I have the neutral and the ground separated in the sub panel. When I run these lines into the main panel does it matter where I connect both the neutral and the ground in the Main panel since the two bus bars are bonded?

Also the subpanel is mounted about eye level on a sheet of mdf next to the main panel. Is it ok to run the new wiring for the branch circuits that go into the subpanel down this mdf? Or would it be better to run conduit to the ceiling as the top of main panel top is much closed to the ceiling?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-16, 08:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
In the main panel, the neutral should connect to the same bar as the incoming service neutral or to a bar that is firmly bonded to that one. It should not connect to a bar that only connects to the metal box if your main panel is designed that way.

It is standard procedure to staple the incoming romex above the panel to some type of board. Conduit is not necessary in this spot.

Old 05-17-16, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok.. i got it.. run the neutral to the bus that is directly connected to the bare service neutral that comes in from the street.

Then connect the ground to the bus that is on the opposite side of the panel.

Old 05-17-16, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The ground can go on either if you have open space. It's just the neutral that should be on the "neutral" bar.