Help identifying electrical panel

Old 05-20-16, 10:24 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help identifying electrical panel

I bought a home and I can't identify the make and model of the electrical panel. I need the info to install solar. I'd be extremely appreciative if anyone can help. It is 200 AMPS according to previous owner but it doesn't have the important data sheet/warning/model information on it. Thanks in advance !!

Name:  IMG_4350.JPG.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  27.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-20-16 at 11:04 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 05-20-16, 10:37 PM
D
Just in case this helps you help me

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  image1A.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  26.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-20-16 at 11:08 PM. Reason: reoriented/enhanced picture
Old 05-20-16, 11:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I don't recognize what you have there but usually the solar company will look the panel over to see if it's satisfactory. They may have to remove the bottom two screws and lift the breaker cover plate off to see the make and model tag inside.

Old 05-20-16, 11:15 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
What about those labels at the bottom? What names are are on the circuit breakers? Have you removed the panel covering the circuit breakers to see if a manufacturer's label is inside the enclosure?

Old 05-21-16, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
Based on the breakers I believe it is a Siemens/ITE panel. The breakers likely will say "Siemens", "Gould" or "ITE".

Old 05-21-16, 07:59 AM
D
You guys are awesome for getting back to me so quickly! The breakers are a bit of a mix including Siemens, cutler and challenger(if that's not a sub company). The warning labels shown are all that exist in either the breaker portion or the service entrance portion to the lower left which don't help after a long time scouring the Internet. I thought it most resembled the Siemens boxes, but most of their current offerings have the breakers on the left. The eaton panels have a lot of center mounted breakers. I know the exterior door is an easy change from one model to the next, but it seems there are hardly any boxes with the flip up door vs. the left to right hinged door. That's the main problem throwing me off from finding the exact match.

I'll try opening the interior casing to see if there is a model number anywhere, but I thought any of that identifying info would have been outside of that interior paneling. Thanks again all!

Old 05-21-16, 08:16 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
The "flip up" door is quite common with panels that have a NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association) 3R (raintight) rating. Side swing doors are almost always a NEMA 1 (indoors only) rated.

Old 05-21-16, 08:44 AM
D
Also, do the "spaces" advertised include the main service breakers? I count 24 spaces(48 circuits) if I'm doing it right including the main service breakers, 20 spaces if I donn't include those. Should I be searching for a 20 or 24 space panel?

Old 05-21-16, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Not counting the main.... I see 10 spaces for a possible 20 circuits.

That would probably be called a 14 space panel. You can't tell how many circuits until you open the cover. You may not be able to put double breakers in all locations.

It would be extremely rare to find the model number visible on a panel without opening the breaker cover.

If you attempt to remove the breaker cover. DO NOT allow it to fall into the panel. There will be hot/live parts behind the cover that the cover could possibly hit if caution is not used.

Old 05-21-16, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Other then the getting the correct breaker to connect the solar to your main service, I see no reason why it would be necessary to get the exact make/model of the panel. The main breaker appears to be Siemens/ITE, that should be good enough for the solar company.

Old 05-21-16, 01:13 PM
D
I believe they think it might be a problem with the inspector that will want to verify amperage limits. I'll open the main breakers before unscrewing and opening the interior panel to minimize any accidental contact, plus wear my new fancy pants 12kv electrical gloves to be sure. I was under the impression all breaker boxes had the model numbers,amperage, specs etc inside the outer door because I have a sub panel in the garage with that posted.

@PJmax thanks, but I'm confused how we're coming up with such different numbers. It appears there are 10 spaces below the main service breakers as well, which might be where the numbers differ because of the bad quality in my first pic and only showing the mains and above in the second post. Either that or I'm missing something on how to count the spaces.

In any event, hopefully I can figure it out when I take off that panel.

Old 05-21-16, 02:42 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'll open the main breakers before unscrewing and opening the interior panel to minimize any accidental contact
But there will still be hot areas

Old 05-21-16, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
I was under the impression all breaker boxes had the model numbers,amperage, specs etc inside the outer door because I have a sub panel in the garage with that posted
Most cases they do, but sometimes the label gets loose and falls off.

Your picture close up does not show the other breakers, that is the cause of the confusion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: