service drop connection to house

Old 05-21-16, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
service drop connection to house

hi folks Ė

-------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------

Two winters ago a tree branch took out my Comcast cable, phone line, and electric utility feed to the house and all 3 were repaired by the companies. All three run overhead from the road through a small patch of woods and connect to the house up at the roof ridge. This year another branch has pulled about 3 feet of the Comcast cable off the house, but it is still working.

I went up on a ladder to see if I could pull the Comcast cable back to the siding and tack it back up myself and noticed that the Electric company cables have tape around them Ė and it looks like it is starting to unravel. I just never noticed that till I got up there on a ladder. Is that a proper thing to do? It just doesnít give me a warm fuzzy and I was just wondering if that is something to be concerned about.

I also noticed that apparently the Comcast cable was fastened to a hook in the siding using the cable ground wire. That ground wire broke when the Comcast cable pulled from the house. It looks to me like Comcast just wrapped the ground wire around the hook as a means of support. But maybe Iím missing something and itís for some other purpose. Is that OK to do? You can see the hook and the broken wire in pic 3. Does it matter if you just ignore that ground wire?

These are the best pics I could get. A little hard to get good ones because of the sky background and Iím afraid of falling off the ladder to try and get a better angle-lol.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-16, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 380 Votes on 357 Posts
The two hot legs are fine. They look like they taped over crimps. The bare wire(neutral) shouldn't even have been taped.... it's not necessary.

The cable line is a Siamese cable. An RG-6 coax with a ground wire attached. That ground wire is what supports the weight of the coax. That ground wire should go to the service hook. Wrapping it around the service hook is ok.

That ground is part of the back bonding of the cable system and should be reconnected if it's broken. You may need to use a lug to reconnect them.

Old 05-21-16, 09:34 AM
Temporarily Suspended
IMAG6310 - Copy.jpg Photo by 143house | Photobucket

AFAI, those are the connectors that should be used.

Old 05-21-16, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
There are many possible connectors. Those in your picture Pulpo (Polaris connectors) are not usually used by the power company due to their high cost. The poco will use crimps. I use both.

Name:  split.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  14.4 KB

Old 05-21-16, 09:45 AM
OK guys gotcha! Thanks a lot. I understand what you are saying. Clears that up. Iíll take care of the ground.

Thanks again!

Old 10-31-16, 12:50 PM
Hi everyone I stumble upon this page looking for "crimp connectors" The local places around Los Angeles does not have insulated crimp connectors. how can I get a hold of these? Thank you so much for this thread!

Old 10-31-16, 12:55 PM
Hi everyone I stumble upon this thread searching " crimp connectors service drop" . I am looking for the insulated connectors but have not found any in my local electrical store. I live in Los Angeles California and hope that someone can help me locate this part. I am also trying to connect the wire to the house. Thank you so much for this thread!

Old 10-31-16, 02:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You can order them from a variety of places online (insulted butt splice connector), but I guarantee 100% that any electrical supply house will carry these. Not a big box store or hardware store. Check your local area for an electrical supply company and they will get you what you need.

Old 10-31-16, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Back in post 4 where I illustrate the types of connectors. You'd be better off using the Polaris bugs. The only tool needed is an Allen Key to fit the setscrews.

The crimp connectors are great but require a special crimp gun. If you don't have that crimp tool I would not recommend using them.