Found a surprise while cutting bushes down

Old 05-25-16, 06:11 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Found a surprise while cutting bushes down

Yesterday I spent a majority of the evening cutting back (what I found out to be) the golden euonymus bushes out front of my house. I live in a townhouse, and all of my utilities come on the front of the house.

So as I was cutting back the bushes I found this:

Picture 1

That looks a bit scary to me. I think it's the main power feed that goes into my meter. The cables go into the evergreen bush to the left, tangle up a bit in that, and then I think they go up into my meter which is above the evergreen.

Here's a picture of the front after some of the preliminary cutting...you can see where the utilities are located on the house here:

Front picture of house

It just seems a bit unsafe if that is indeed the main electric service.

Last edited by fshannon3; 05-25-16 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 06:20 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
New Virus: Watch Out for Goo.gl Links on Twitter

What's with the .gl links in your post?

Old 05-25-16, 06:24 AM
F
Those are to the photos in my Google Photos album. I use that rather than trying to resize them here because when they get resized down, the detail can't be seen.

So...sorry, but they are legit links to my Google Photos account. I'll edit the post...

Old 05-25-16, 06:32 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, it looks like your service entrance...no clue how/why it would be above ground!

First call should be to your electric utility to find out if it's their responsibility. In some areas the utility is responsible for everything up to and including the meter. In other areas, underground service is homeowner's responsibility from the transformer to the meter. (That's how it is in my area).

If it's their responsibility, they should come out and fix it. If it's yours, it's time to call an electrician.

Meanwhile...I wouldn't water those bushes.....

Old 05-25-16, 06:35 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
So...sorry, but they are legit links to my Google Photos account. I'll edit the post..
If they are legit, why didn't the link open when stupid me clicked on it? I'm scanning my PC now.

Old 05-25-16, 06:39 AM
H
I am no expert but to me that doesn't look safe. I am assuming that since you have a town house that there is an HOA involved I certainly would contact them and have them look into the matter. It is very possible that other homeowners may be having the same problem but don't know about it. Even if maintaining the electric outside is your responsibility they still should know so that others can be warned. I am thinking that those wires should have been put in conduit to prevent them from being cut.

Old 05-25-16, 06:40 AM
F
If they are legit, why didn't the link open when stupid me clicked on it? I'm scanning my PC now.
Good question...should've opened to a Google Photos page with a scaled-down version of picture, and then you click the picture to get the full-size image...

Old 05-25-16, 06:41 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Links worked fine for me Pulpo....

Old 05-25-16, 06:42 AM
H
Pulpo they are legit I was able to open the pictures but if you feel that you should scan then scan.

Old 05-25-16, 06:44 AM
F
I had my electric panel inside the house replaced 3 years ago. Would the electrician have needed to mess with that outside? They needed to come back after the initial install because the county inspector failed it for not properly burying the grounding wire outside...and I did see where that was definitely above ground at the time. The electrician did bury that and it then passed.

Old 05-25-16, 06:44 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Links worked fine for me Pulpo....
That's nice. I wonder what else worked that you didn't see.

Old 05-25-16, 07:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,506 Votes on 1,393 Posts
In that first picture it appears that what looks like a neutral wire is just taped off.
Since you have an outside meter...... look at it. You should see a pipe going to the ground from it. I don't see any conduit in the picture.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  54.8 KB

Old 05-25-16, 08:43 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Post moved to electrical.

Old 05-25-16, 11:02 AM
F
Thanks for the move...wasn't sure where to initially post it but now it makes sense.

I called the power company to see if they could come check it out. They had a tech on-site within an hour of the call and he looked at it and showed me what's up. It turns out it's just the remnants of the old power feed coming into my house that the electrician just taped up and left dangling. The power company tech said it should've been put back in the meter so it wasn't left hanging like that. It's safe, but it just shouldn't have been left.

I had the electric panel replaced 3 years ago and the electrician upped the service, hence the need for a new feed into the house.

Old 05-25-16, 11:33 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what it was.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: