Electrical for submersible pond pump?

Old 05-26-16, 04:03 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical for submersible pond pump?

Small pond (about 5ft diam) using a submerged pump to push water through a couple decorative fixtures at edge of pond. The pump is powered from a std 120v wall switch inside the house, not on a GFCI breaker. The pump power cord is tied directly by wire nuts to the power conductors at an undersized junction box (without a cover) about 3ft from the pond.
Name:  pond_elect.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  24.8 KB

Apparently a DIY by previous homeowner. It was hidden by nearby plants so we missed it during home inspection. As I read it, NEC 682 applies and for the pump stipulates a GFCI protected receptacle at least 5ft (horiz) from pond and 1ft above electrical datum (3ft above surface my location).

Does this require a service disconnect ahead of and nearby the receptacle?

Given the 5ft & 3ft requirements, it would seem a submersible pump with a rather long (10ft or so) power cord would be needed.

Old 05-26-16, 04:12 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
A cord and plug will serve as the disconnect. The GFCI receptacle needs to be outdoor rated and an in-use cover installed. Are you replacing the pump or just adding a plug to the cord?

Name:  c26-B002W6ZP0K-3-s.jpg
Views: 4227
Size:  19.0 KB
http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-Indu.../dp/B002W6ZP0K

Old 05-26-16, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
In your picture.... that "cover" is called an LB. It's actually used as a pull point when pulling wires thru a pipe.

Your description of receptacle placement is good. Yes... it needs to be a GFI receptacle or protected circuit.

Most of those pumps are designed for light duty pumping.... especially pool covers. I have several of them. The cords are 10-15' long.

Old 05-26-16, 05:35 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thx guys, appreciated. Yes, I'm replacing the pump, it's pretty ancient anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: