Light fixture not working. Changed out fixture same issue

Old 05-31-16, 10:47 PM
Light fixture not working. Changed out fixture same issue

I'm having issues with a bathroom light fixture. The bathroom only contains a toilet and sink no tub or shower. I have seen water dripping from the fixture when it rains real hard so I'm thinking the wiring got wet and it failed. What happens is when I turn on the fixture the lights flicker and I can here a electrical sound from the light switch.

I swapped out fixtures thinking maybe the old one shorted out as it only does it when I have light bulbs in the fixture. It does not do it when there are no bulbs or the fixture is removed altogether. Only when there is a load. the fixture has CFLs in it and I did swap out the CFLS also. Is it a switch issue or should I replace the wiring leading up to the fixture. The switch gets it power from the outlet in the same box on the wall but so far the outlet works fine. The outlet was replace about 5-6 years ago along with the switch I think.

The fixture is grounded as there is a ground wire in the plastic box. I do plan on calling a electrician but it will be 2 weeks before I can afford it as that's when i get paid again. For now I removed the fixture. Should I try replacing the light switch or removing the ground and see if its a faulty ground? Again it only does it when under load. If I remove the bulbs from the fixture it does not do it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-16, 10:57 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Replace the switch. The sound is probably arcing in the switch.
Only when there is a load.
Which tends to confirm arching in the switch.
removing the ground and see if its a faulty
Ground has nothing to do with the light functioning. It will function with or without a ground.

Old 06-01-16, 05:11 AM
Upvotes Received: 24
Have you thought about finding out why the roof is leaking?
Water coming out of an electrical fixture is a short waiting to happen.

Old 06-01-16, 10:19 PM
UPDATE It was the switch. Swapped it out and it works fine now. I need to get up on the roof and see where it's leaking at and patch it with roof mastic since its a trailer.

Old 06-01-16, 10:28 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
I'd imagine your leak is the vent line that supplies that bathroom and goes thru the roof.