Spilting up light fixtures in unfinished basement

Old 06-01-16, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spilting up light fixtures in unfinished basement

Name:  IMG_0700.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  29.9 KBI just moved in to a new house. I am fairly familer with electrical - changing outlets, intalling lights etc.

My basement currently has three zones of lights. I have attched a diagram of one of the zones. In the diagram the spst switch contols all the lights. I would like to rewire the lights so one SPST switch controls the two left lights and keep the exsisting SPST switch to control the third light.

Sorry for the crude diagram.

Last edited by Amacron; 06-01-16 at 08:27 AM. Reason: added diagram
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-16, 10:42 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Best to bring power into the switch box instead of one of the lights. That will make thing a lot easier.

Old 06-01-16, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The wiring is already there just wondering if i could modify the current setup with out rewiring the whole thing

Old 06-01-16, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You've got one too few wires leaving the switch box to execute your plan. You'll need to add another run of cable either between the switch box and light 2 or between the switch box and light 3. Some interpretations of the code would actually require you to replace the 14-3 with 14-4 (or 14-2-2) instead of running two separate cables. Somewhat depends on how your local inspectors handle this situation.

Given this is all existing wiring with finished walls, you might want to look at some of the smart home automation or remote control switches. You can get them that use radio frequency, IR, powerline, wifi, etc -- lots of options out there. They're not quite as reliable as hardwired, but might be much less work and expense for this application.