New ceiling light won't turn on

Old 06-02-16, 01:28 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New ceiling light won't turn on

Hey guys,
I am replacing all of my ceiling light fixtures. I have installed 2 that work fine and am stuck with one that for some reason will not turn on. It is a basic light fixture with 2 black,2 white wires for each socket. I wired them in to their respective wires in the ceiling and attached the ground as I did the others. For some reason the lights will just not illuminate on this one. I tried different bulbs and I have a no contact tester that is picking up some sort of magnetic field on the light but the bulbs are not turning on. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-02-16, 01:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

First, toss the non-contact tester, it is of no value here. You have lost me with this statement:
It is a basic light fixture with 2 black,2 white wires for each socket
Can you further explain this? I think it's the term 'socket' which is throwing me, I have no idea what that means.

Old 06-02-16, 02:02 PM
B
The fixture holds two light bulbs and has a socket (receptacle) for each bulb. Each receptacle has it's own black/white wires.

Old 06-02-16, 02:15 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Tell us about the house wires. I to am confused but guessing you have two house whites and two house blacks. Is that true?

Old 06-03-16, 12:36 PM
B
I hope these help

Name:  light1.jpg
Views: 3176
Size:  27.4 KB

Name:  light2.jpg
Views: 3156
Size:  23.1 KB

The wires in the top that are painted were never touched.

The wires I connected to were the ones the original light was connected to that worked fine.

The second (blurry) photo is the back side of the new light showing it has 4 wires total.

I installed 4 of these throughout my house yesterday and this is the only one I am having issues with.

Thanks again.

Old 06-03-16, 12:51 PM
Are the two wires I circled the ones you didn't touch? Are they actually black?

Name:  light1.jpg
Views: 3276
Size:  27.9 KB

What color wires on the switch? Are they are on the screw terminals or stabbed in the back. If backstabbed move to the screws.

Old 06-04-16, 10:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Your connections look correct. I would take of the wire nuts and ensure there was good contact.

Old 06-04-16, 01:25 PM
B
The light is controlled by two way switches at the top & bottom of the stairs I recently replaced but the light fixture worked fine for weeks prior to the new installation. The wires up top are originally black.

Old 06-04-16, 02:01 PM
As PCBoss asked did you try redoing the connections at the light?

The light is controlled by two way switches at the top & bottom of the stairs
I believe you mean 3-way switches. I know 2-way makes more sense but 3-way is what they are called.

If the wires on the switches are backstabbed they need to be moved to the screws. If they are on the screws check that all are tight. If still no luck have you tried the switches in all positions. Example: switch A up and switch B up then down; switch A down and then switch B up then down? There have been posts on the board where one switch was somehow bumped into mid position neither up or down causing a light not to work.

Old 06-06-16, 03:35 PM
B
Thanks everyone for your help.

I am a little embarrassed to admit I found my problem.

When I was putting the light in place and fastening it to the receptacle it was pushing one of my wires out of the wire nut causing it to lose contact while in place but when I drop the fixture it would slide back inside.

I secured everything and it works great now.

Cheers

Old 06-06-16, 03:49 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Glad it works, thanks for the update.

pcboss with the win on this one

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: