Breakers Besides The One Tripping

Old 06-05-16, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breakers Besides The One Tripping

So first of all this is about my mothers house which is a rental and she has zero knowledge about electricity which I'm trying to fix. I have experience but she won't listen to me so I'm hoping one of you might be able to shine some light, no pun intended lol.

There is one breaker that continues to trip sometimes another one but at different times. Any way what she keeps doing is just flipping the breaker to reset it which can work for 10 min or 2 hours and this happens probably 6-10 times per day that she flips it.

Now I know that flipping the breaker that much is horrible for it and will cause it to happen the more it is flipped which I'm hoping someone on here will slightly describe so I can show her....

Also when the one keeps flipping she thinks it is best and helps to go ahead and flip all of the breakers which are working fine at the time. Without me saying my knowledge on this issue because I don't want to influence in any way. Can someone please describe the outcome of doing this and if this will do anything? And is it physically possible to help a tripping breaker by flipping other ones that are working fine?

I am desperately trying to get her to listen to me because I'm completely worried about her safety! I'm a step away from calling an electrician to come out and pay for it myself but money is tight, single father with a 4 year old.

Easy answer is to call the landlord out but she doesn't say how serious it is plus the guy is a total slum lord who my mom thinks will evict her for causing problems and she is almost 70 and has lived there for 15+ years. She is on SSI and barely gets by as it is.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone answer the couple questions I mentioned stressing the seriousness of all this. Very sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-16, 06:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
So first of all this is about my mothers house which is a rental and she has zero knowledge about electricity which I'm trying to fix
Unless you are a licensed electrician you her should not touch the electric in the house. The liability both civil and possibly criminal are too great.
she keeps doing is just flipping the breaker to reset it which can work for 10 min or 2 hours and this happens probably 6-10 times per day
Breakers will weaken and eventually fail if continually over loaded. If it is a wiring problem it may start a fire.

Inform the landlord both in a phone call and in a certified receipt requested letter. That is about all you can do but if he fails to respond in a few days you may want to see if there is a government tenant protection agency or call a lawyer.

Old 06-05-16, 06:46 PM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
#1, This is no one but a licensed electrician should be dealing with!!!
It's a rental, no way are they going to legally going to be able to kick her out to fix an electrical issue that may burn down the whole place!

Old 06-05-16, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
The easy fix of an overloaded circuit is to lighten the load. Have her move some of the items she has on the circuit that is blowing to another circuit, or just unplug them. The exception to this is if the breaker has a "test" button on it. If it does, it will be either a GFCI breaker or a AFCI breaker. This is also an easy fix by just disconnecting items until the arc fault or ground fault clears (no more tripping).

Can you find what all is on that circuit? Each time it trips the items will loose power.

Old 06-05-16, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've been trying to get her to take action for a couple years now against him but she is so terrified that she will have no place to go that she starts crying. It breaks my heart right in two. I've spoke with him personally a couple months ago and when I called him out he said fine they don't like it then they are evicted and my mom started crying. Told him to let her be or I'll sue then walked away after telling him to rot in hell of course.

Thanks this isn't supposed to be about that whole mess though. Any response to the flipping of the good breakers when the bad one keeps tripping? Is it physically possible that it will help anything?

Old 06-05-16, 07:26 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Most circuit breakers are also rated for switching duty (SWD) so turning them off and then on won't cause them to fail any sooner. But you are correct, neither will it have any positive effect upon the problem you and your mother are experiencing.

I know that you are not asking, but I have to add, this sounds like a case of elder abuse on the part of the landlord. There are LAWS pertaining to this and the people that investigate the claims just LOVE to catch these a**holes and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. Also, almost every city, county and state has landlord-tenant laws that prohibit the type of actions that you ascribe to the landlord in this case. You really DO need to contact the governmental offices that deal with both elder abuse and landlord-tenant disputes.

Old 06-05-16, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
I do not think this is a huge issue other then having too much stuff on one circuit. If you/she reduces the load on the circuit(s) that just might fix the issue. No electrician, no landlord required.

Old 06-05-16, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
Adding on to Tolyn's reply.... when the circuit breaker trips.... something must be going dead. With that knowledge you could figure out what action to take.