Doorbell Wiring

Old 06-07-16, 11:36 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Doorbell Wiring

I could use some help figuring out what's going on with my doorbell. Disconnected the chime and took it off the wall to paint - it was working fine, and I swear I labeled my wires and drew myself a little diagram, hooked it up the same as it was, and now it's not working. I've tried just about every combination, and checked the button and I'm stumped. I know I could just get a wireless one, and forget about this, but I'm into it now, and determined to figure it out. I'm not that experienced with electrical, so I hope this isn't too obvious...

OK, it's a single doorbell, front only. Here is the transformer.

Attachment 67037

The blue and white wires are attached, and the orange and white go to nothing.

Here is the chime.

Name:  IMAG0887.jpg
Views: 11337
Size:  23.1 KB

To the left are the wires from the transformer. I assume I just leave the short orange and white wires going to nothing, just like back at the transformer, correct? Where should the long blue and white wires go? If I touch blue to TRANS and white to FRONT (or vice versa), the chime will ring, but stick and hum in the on position. Normal I guess, because the doorbell button is not in the loop at this point? Should they both go to TRANS?

To the right are the wires coming in from the button I assume. The blue and white are unused, still covered with insulation. I'm guessing the short orange wire is what I need to connect to the FRONT terminal?

Here is the button.

Name:  IMAG0888.jpg
Views: 7481
Size:  16.9 KB

You can see the orange and the white connect to the button. I'm assuming the orange is the one I'm guessing I need to connect to FRONT at the chime?

I think I've tried every combination, but no dice. The only thing I can think is that the button itself is bad. I've checked it though and think it's fine. Pushing it had no effect, but I probably had the wiring wrong, so....can somebody set me straight here, please?

Old 06-08-16, 01:32 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
  • One transformer wire to TRANS
  • Other transformer wire to either chime button wire.
  • Remaining Chime button wire to FRONT.
The blue and white wires are attached, and the orange and white go to nothing.
That doesn't make sense because I'd expect only one white wire per cable. Was it a typo? I used the colors you typed in the diagram if you had a typo adjust colors accordingly.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 10035
Size:  14.8 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 06-08-16 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-08-16, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,335 Votes on 1,234 Posts
That is communications cable..... like cat5.
There is a blue and white/blue wire and an orange and an white/orange wire.
You need to look carefully for the color marking on the white cable.

Old 06-08-16, 09:04 AM
J
Thanks, guys, for the responses. You're right, one of them is white/orange. I'm at work now, tonight I'll confirm the correct wire colors. Also, my picture of the transformer seems to not be displaying - I'll try to fix that too.

Anyway, those are the wires that were there originally. Why is the doorbell wired with CAT5 cabling? Is that normal?

Old 06-08-16, 09:49 AM
Why is the doorbell wired with CAT5 cabling? Is that normal?
It was what was on the truck. There is really no chime wire. Many installers even use phone wire.

Old 06-08-16, 11:12 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
There is really no chime wire.
I haven't looked for decades but they used to sell doorbell wire and/or cable. The wire (single conductor) was usually #18 or #20 copper with a plastic insulation and the cable was twisted pair or sometimes (rarely) three-conductor twisted. It had a voltage rating of about 30 volts.

(Doing a Google using bell wire for the search terms I find lots of hits, including at the big box mega-mart homecenters.)

This bell wire is also used on occasion for low-voltage thermostat wiring. In fact, I would likely use thermostat cable for a door bell/chime before I used Category X communication cable. The problem with Cat. cable is the wire sizes are just too small and require that "pairs be doubled up" for the current flow and also it is rather fragile. But, it IS used far too often simply because, as Ray stated, it was on the truck.

Old 06-08-16, 05:53 PM
J
OK, I've got success! To finish this thread off properly, here's the transformer:

The blue and white/blue are attached to the transformer terminals, and the orange and white/orange go nowhere, so I've capped them off.

Name:  IMAG0892.jpg
Views: 6145
Size:  28.7 KB

At the chime, as per Ray's instructions/diagram, I've connected:
  • white/blue from the transformer to TRANS
  • blue from the transformer to white/orange coming from the button (gray nut)
  • orange from the button to FRONT
  • capped off unused orange and white/orange from the transformer; and blue and white/blue from the button (blue nuts)

Name:  IMAG0890.jpg
Views: 8173
Size:  23.4 KB

Thanks everybody for the assist!

Old 06-08-16, 06:05 PM
Good job. Thanks for letting us know the outcome

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: