Help confirming generator cord

Old 06-14-16, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help confirming generator cord

My house has an interlock kit installed and a generator inlet outside with what appears to be a 50 amp CS6364. My Champion generator has a L14-30R receptacle, I understand this is only 30 amps but it should meet my power requirements. So I think I'm looking for a CS6364 to L14-30P cord which seems to fairly uncommon (I did find a few such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-Trans...dp/B005HYY2M6/ ). Are there any issues with this setup that I should be aware of, or a better way to feed my panel with this generator?

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-16, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
Better way.... not really. You need a cord with different ends.

That cord in your link will work. I make my own as I have the cable on a reel and the caps loose.

I would highly recommend checking that cord after it is connected and powered before doing a transfer. Best way to check it is at the transfer breaker inside the panel.

Old 06-14-16, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the input. How would I check the cord?

I could have an electrician come out and replace the CS6364 receptacle, that would be quick work but would likely cost as much as buying the $150 cable. Glad the cable is a viable option.

Old 06-15-16, 11:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
The benefit of leaving the receptacle as-is if you ever decide to upgrade your generator, you are all set for a 50A feed.

I think Pete was suggesting for you to wire up your new cord, plug it in and turn on the generator.
Open the breaker box and using a meter, check at the transfer breaker (still off), that you have 240v between H-H, and 120v between each Hot and Neutral. You'll want to find out about any miswiring before you flip the transfer switch.

Old 06-15-16, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the input, expensive cord will be ordered!

Old 06-15-16, 01:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Replacing that flanged 50A inlet with the 30A version would be a quick DIY job. Materials would be much less expensive than cable adapters.