Electricity in living room isn't working?

Old 06-15-16, 01:29 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electricity in living room isn't working?

The electricity in my living room isn't working. It suddenly went off after I turned on the air conditioner. There are two outlets in the room. One switch box has a ground wire, two white wires and a black and red wire. The other switch box has a ground wire, two white wires, two black wires and a red wire. They used to be connected to a switch but they seem not to work anymore. The switch is off. I reset all of the breakers and tested all of the GFCI outlets in the home. Any advice?

Old 06-15-16, 01:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Is this a 120 or 240 volt AC? Have you unplugged AC and re tried breakers? Breakers need to be turned off and than truned on to reset.

Old 06-15-16, 01:47 PM
Y
It's a 120V. I unplugged the AC when I resetted the breakers. I'm very confused!

Old 06-15-16, 01:54 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
The start-up load of the air conditioner has probably caused a weak connection on this circuit to burn through. The problem is almost always at the first non-working device or last working device. A backstabed wire into a receptacle is a very common failure point - the little spring retainer wears out and the connection becomes loose. The fix is to methodically open and inspection every connection in each junction box on this circuit. Remake any loose splices with wirenuts; move any backstab connections to the adjacent screw terminals. Replace any switches or receptacles that are worn. On old circuits you'll need to peel off (and later replace) the tape to inspect the crimps.

Old 06-15-16, 02:09 PM
Y
Thanks for the advice ibpooks! It seems like the the switch that used to turn the outlets on and off haven't worked for a while, is this a wiring problem? None of the wires were backstabbed into the receptacle, they were all on the screw terminals. The receptacles and switches are fairly new, they were replaced 2 years ago.

Old 06-15-16, 02:16 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the AC plugged into one of the receptacles that switch controls?

Old 06-15-16, 02:36 PM
Y
Yes, it was before the power went off.

Old 06-15-16, 03:21 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
A good place to start would be to replace that switch with a heavy duty 20A switch. A standard light switch can't be expected to last very long with a large load like an AC compressor.

Old 06-15-16, 05:04 PM
Y
Thanks your help so far! I'm going to try it out and if nothing works, I'll get a professional to come by.

Old 06-15-16, 06:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you are going to pay a pro have him install a dedicated receptacle circuit for the A/C.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: