Help with wiring

Old 06-17-16, 11:51 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with wiring

Hello all I am trying to figure out what to do I have 3 romex wire sets in a junction box and I am trying to wire up a single pole switch. Do I just connect all the black,white and ground wires to the switch terminals?

Old 06-17-16, 12:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What will the switch be controlling? Which wires go to that particular light? Once you have identified that cable, then you can keep all the white wires capped together, remove the one wire that goes to the light, attach a pigtail to the remaining two black wires and then connect it to the switch on one screw, and the black to the light to the other screw.

You mention it is in a junction box. Is it an octagon box, switch box? If an oversized 4x4 box, you will need a plaster ring to mount your switch in.

Old 06-17-16, 12:57 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello and thank you. The one run of romex wires goes to a light in the ceiling and the other set of romex wires goes to a plug and I believe the other feeds power to the light switch in the closet. The junction box the wires are in are in a single gang blue rectangle box.

Old 06-17-16, 02:39 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do I just connect all the black,white and ground wires to the switch terminals?
Only if you have very good insurance and want to burn the house down. Assuming the whites are neutrals neutrals or never switched.
the other set of romex wires goes to a plug
Do you mean a duplex receptacle? A plug is male. Why do you wish to switch the receptacle?
I believe the other feeds power to the light switch in the closet.
You don't want to feed switched power to a switch do you?

Please list the things you do and don't want switched and we can go from there.

Basic switch circuit:

Name:  sw_circuit-1_zpse7a0670a.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  18.4 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: