Running the wire inside the closet

Old 06-19-16, 08:59 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running the wire inside the closet

I would like to run a wire from the outlet inside our walk-in closet to the opposite wall to hang a TV outside the closet. How would I manage the two end points? Can I add another junction box on top of the existing box, take that receptacle outside and then run the wire along the wall? The top receptacle would be inside the wall, but the wire would come in from inside the closet.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-16, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 217 Votes on 192 Posts
Since you will have to install something on the surface of the wall I would suggest using Wiremold. Wiremold will have to the parts to extend the existing outlet with a box that has an open back (v5751) then run the raceway to where you want the new outlet on the back side of the wall. You will then go through the wall to a remodel box and install the new outlet. I might be helpful to enter the wall above or below the new box so as not to try to enter directly in the back.

I would recommend using 700 Wiremold, and if it is legal where you live, using NM-b cable so you do not have to convert from THHN to a cable when entering the wall.

One other note: I see a sink and toilet paper. If the is a bathroom GFCI protection is required.

Old 06-19-16, 09:40 AM
X
I was planning to use the Box Extender like this one: Shop Raco 1-Gang Silver Steel Interior New Work/Old Work Box Extender Wall Electrical Box at Lowes.com

However, Wiremold appears to make life much easier. Thanks for the tip on the GFCI, completely forgot about it.

Old 06-19-16, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
That box extender would also work, you would just need to use EMT conduit instead of Wiremold.

Old 06-19-16, 10:12 AM
X
The breaker in that room is 20 amp, does that mean I have to install the 20 amp and 12 gauge wire?

Old 06-19-16, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
The receptacle (outlet) does not need to be 20 amp, 15 amp is fine. You do need to use 12 gauge wire though.