Weird and mysterious circuit problem

Old 06-22-16, 10:16 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Weird and mysterious circuit problem

The lights on one of my bedroom circuits dim intermittently. I replaced the AFCI breaker in the panel but the problem has not gone away. If I reset the breaker (the old breaker and this new breaker) the problem goes away for about two weeks before recurring. What could be causing this? I am planning to check all the outlets on the circuit to make sure the neutrals are secure. But I just wondered if a faulty lamp could cause another lamp on the same circuit to dim intermittently? And why would resetting the breaker (assuming the breaker is not the problem) work as a temporary fix?

Old 06-22-16, 10:32 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
As a first step, I'd try connecting the circuit to a different breaker in the panel, or moving your new breaker to a different space in the panel, in case there is a problem with the buss connection to the breaker. That's the only thing I can think of that might be solved by cycling the breaker (since you know the breaker isn't the problem). Make sure you check for a loose neutral connection in the panel.

When that doesn't fix the problem, examine all the devices on the that circuit looking for back-stabbed connections and moving any you find to the side terminals. Remove and replace all the wire nuts looking for poor connections. The problem could be at an outlet or a switch so check everything on the circuit. Check hots and neutrals.

It's unlikely a faulty lamp somewhere else on the circuit would cause this absent any other problem. If it was drawing enough fault current to dim other lights there would probably be other symptoms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: