Need panel solution for narrow wall cavity

Old 07-13-16, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
240 volt equipment ony needs xx-2 NM-b.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-16, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok. That was easy. Now for a hard one. Does current flow in a neutral conductor?

Old 07-16-16, 07:12 AM
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, current flows on the neutral (white grounded) conductor. Equal to the current on the hot (black live/ungrounded) conductor in a 120 volt circuit. In a 240 volt circuit the neutral will carry the unbalanced load between the two hot conductors. Current does not normally flow on the ground (green/bare grounding) conductor except for a fault condition.

Note for conduit fill counts you don't count the neutral with MWBC or 240 volt circuits.

Old 07-16-16, 07:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I read through this, but not as thoroughly as normal, so I may have missed it. With the original configuration has anyone mentioned the clearance factor for the panel? Just curious.

Name:  Panel Clearances.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  30.3 KB

Old 07-16-16, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Larry, that diagram is wrong. The panel requires 30 inches of width, including the panel. The panel does not need to be centered in that width.

Old 07-18-16, 03:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Larry, that diagram is wrong. The panel requires 30 inches of width, including the panel. The panel does not need to be centered in that width.
Whew! For a second there, I thought I might be in trouble. not.

Guys, this panel was already installed when I moved in. And you should have seen HIS wiring..
The only thing I did was build the wall next to it. And if Larry is right, then there is nothing wrong with this. I have apprx 54" of wall. It just so happens the panel is NOT centered. So if Larry is correct..then I'm not worried. In fact..I wouldn't worry even if he is wrong. NO ONE but me is ever going to see this. Besides..it's a garage.

HOWEVER... just when you think "god I'm smart. I found a solution."... along comes Murphy to prove what a *&^&*)^_(#%% IDIOT I am.

Note to self. Go to chalkboard. Write..I AM AN IDIOT. 1000 times. Then pound head against wall. sheeezus guys.

Ok, the Quads arrived day before yesterday. Only I was too busy sheetrocking a wall, I didn't have time to mess with it. Last night, I finally took one of the quads over to the panel and just for drill, put it up against the front of an existing breaker. OMG. The quad was about a 1/4" WIDER than the ones in the panel. WTF??

Before I ordered these, BECAUSE..the name of these are called HOMELINE.. I did a search for my panel on Home Depot's site.
Sure enough. There was my panel. A HOMELINE panel. Cool.
Name:  Homeline Panel.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  10.1 KB

At least I "thought" so. It looked the same.
So I ordered the quads. Only problem was... I didn't research any further. Otherwise..I would have seen THIS...
Name:  QO panel.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  12.2 KB

Ok, well... looks like it's time to unhook the QO panel and get the Homeline. At least it's only $18. Whew. AND..I'll get some of that flex conduit or figure a way to use some of the extra fittings I have just so those conductors aren't exposed anymore. So..all is good anyway.

Astuff said:

Yes, current flows on the neutral (white grounded) conductor. Equal to the current on the hot (black live/ungrounded) conductor in a 120 volt circuit. In a 240 volt circuit the neutral will carry the unbalanced load between the two hot conductors.
Well, that's good to know. See..this was a "loaded" question. I won't go into it much, but a LONG time ago, I got into a very very long discussion with some electricians who convinced me that current does NOT flow in the neutral conductor. I spent MONTHS investigating this. To the point I finally found this..

07 |EVALUATION OF NEWMAN'S ENERGY MACHINE
And down the rabbit hole I went..

Needless to say...it was a waste of my time. So thanks.

Alright..time to tear into this. Something tells me though..Murphy is LOL .

Old 07-18-16, 08:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Current certainly does flow on the neutral. It is equal to the difference of the current between the two hots.