Utilitech AC condensate pump not pumping

Old 06-26-16, 02:40 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Utilitech AC condensate pump not pumping

Hi. I have a Utilitech condensate pump that all of a sudden decided to not pump out the water that collects in the plastic bin underneath. The water overflowed and I'm assuming it's why my downstairs neighbor has water damage on her ceiling. How can I fix this? The white float inside seems to be working because the "run" and "alarm" lights are both coming on when the water reaches a higher level, but I don't see or hear it running and water just sits in the bin. I'm having to manually empty it to run my AC. Any suggestions would be helpful. The image of the pump I have is below. Thanks.

Name:  pump.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  41.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-26-16 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 06-26-16, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That condensate pump should have come with a maintenance booklet. It does need to be cleaned out occasionally.

The "run" light means the pump should be running.
The "alarm" light is because the pump isn't actually pumping and the tank is overflowing.
The pump is bound up from calcium deposits stuck in the impeller.

If the pump is more than several years old...... I'd replace it.

Old 06-26-16, 05:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I had a float-less Everbuilt installed with my new Trane system. It uses electrodes rather than a float, and shuts down in winter when enough of the water evaporates from the tank, cleans itself with a self cleaning cycle, and will shut down your compressor if it should fail to evacuate. Not terribly expensive. Everbilt 120-Volt Condensate Removal Pump-EB-PUMP - The Home Depot

Old 06-27-16, 01:30 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Replacement is probably the best course in this case. These small pumps aren't the pinnacle of longevity.

Old 06-27-16, 05:29 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
The water overflowed and I'm assuming it's why my downstairs neighbor has water damage on her ceiling. How can I fix this?
Downstairs neighbor? Is this an apartment? If so, call the landlord, it's his problem.

Old 06-27-16, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
A drip pan installed under the pump could provide some additional protection. An alarm in the pan could alert to issues.

Old 06-27-16, 08:08 PM
L
Received 92 Votes on 80 Posts
You will have to check if the motor is stuck or broken.
Also, if this overflowed, that means it wasn't properly installed. There is a sensor (float) to detect overflow condition and that should been wired to shut down the A/C or furnace to prevent overflow.

Old 06-27-16, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
@lambition

It is wired correctly as the OP needs to manually empty it to get the A/C to operate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: