No power to bathroom or exterior outlets

Old 07-02-16, 09:29 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No power to bathroom or exterior outlets

Hey guys,

For a while now I have no power to my front/back exterior outlets and my bathroom outlet.

I have been living with this inconvenience for about 2 years now, since then I had an entire panel replacement due to corrosion so I am fairly sure that the breaker is not the issue.

The front exterior outlet was the only one that was gfci, I replaced that outlet and cannot get it to "reset", when I test any of the 3 outlets with my outlet tester I am getting no lights.

Where should I start with the troubleshooting?

Old 07-02-16, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Start with the gfci.Make sure you have 120 to it. Outlet tester, one of those you plug in? Get a cheap 10 to 15$ analog meter.

Old 07-02-16, 10:24 AM
B
I have a multi meter... I'm unable to insert the needle ends of it into the exterior GFCI outlet as I believe it has something to prevent foreign objects from being stuck inside it... there's almost like plastic coverings... should I remove the outlet and check the wires?

Old 07-02-16, 11:08 AM
It sounds like you have a tamper-proof GFI. You want to check the wires regardless.

Check source power for 120V between hot and neutral and 120V between hot and ground.
Ensure no wires are damaged, causing a short. Ensure the box is stuffed properly and no grounds are touching any hot wires or terminals.

Also, some or most of the GFI's will not reset if wired incorrectly. Ensure the source hot and neutral are on the line side. Ensure the downstream receptacles are on the load side.

Old 07-02-16, 11:08 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
should I remove the outlet and check the wires?
Yes, that is the only way with a GFCI. Even if you can get the probes in it doesn't tell you for if the wires are dead.

Old 07-02-16, 01:03 PM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
That's a tamper proof receptacle, remove the receptacle from the box,also make sure you have the supply wires on the LINE side of the receptacle.

Old 07-02-16, 01:42 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
There is also the possibility that you have not found the GFCI receptacle controlling the bathrooms and other outside receptacle. In my case the GFCI receptacle was in the garage and had a multiple receptacle (six as I recall) plug-in unit that totally obscured the test and reset buttons.

Old 07-03-16, 09:11 AM
B
I removed the old GFCI outlet and tested the wiring. I have 120 between the line hot and neutral, and line hot and ground.

http://i.imgur.com/nkOLnC9.jpg

I installed the new gfci with the 120 hot and neutral on my "line" side and the new GFCI will still not reset.

After I type this I'm going to try disconnecting the load wires and see if it will reset.

Old 07-03-16, 11:01 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, disconnecting the load wires is the next step.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: