Outlet problem in motor home.

Old 07-10-16, 09:23 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlet problem in motor home.

This is a mobile home

Problem: Outlet problem
7-10-16 Last winter our GFI outlet in the bathroom kicked off. There is only this outlet and another outlet outside on this

circuit.

At 1st I thought it had something to do with the ice that accumulates around the small batheroom window during the

winter months. I took the outlet out and looked at it. I didn't see any water damage. I do remember noticing one of the

white wires looked a little melted. The bathroom outlet is vital to my girlfriend but that outside outlet is not.

Then I started to think that its probably a problem with the outside outlet. Which we can do without. I thought about replacing the outside outlet but what if that don't fix the problem. It would be easier to just pull the bathroom outlet out and undo the wires going from the bathroom outlet out to the outside outlet and put wire nuts on them.

I just wondered if there is something I'm over-looking.

Old 07-10-16, 09:40 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
So you have been living with this dead outlet since the winter? When you say it kicked off, do you mean the GFCI outlet tripped? What happened when you reset it? If it reset and stayed reset then no further action is required. If it would not reset or immediately tripped again, then more work is needed.

It could be the outside outlet, but there are many other potential causes. But disconnecting the feed from the load side of the GFCI to the outside outlet would be a good step in isolating the cause.

If you disconnect that and the GFCI functions correctly, then you will have isolated the problem to the outside outlet or the wiring going to it. Why not take the next step, and disconnect the outside receptacle, cap the wires, and reconnect the inside feed to see what happens....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: