Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Eaton Type BR Quadplex breaker. Common trip vs independent trip?

Old 07-14-16, 05:20 PM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts

I was about to purchase a Type BR Quadplex breaker and found there are common trip and independent trip breakers.

I know common trip in 2 pole breakers mean both poles will trip at the same time and never seen independent trip in 2 pole breakers.

So, independent trip in quadplex means all 4 poles are independent or does it mean inner and outer poles are independent?

Does common trip quadplex trip all 4 poles ?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-16, 06:00 AM
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
A handle tie on two full size single pole breakers gives you an independent trip two pole solution.

Quadraplex BR common trip has each two pole configured as common unto itself. One of the two pole will trip both poles but leave the other alone.

Old 07-15-16, 09:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I've seen different configurations, the most common one is that the center two poles are common trip and the outside two poles are independent trip. The center poles could be used for a 240V circuit and the outer poles could be used for separate circuits or a MWBC if you leave the included handle tie in place.

Old 07-15-16, 04:35 PM
A handle tie on two full size single pole breakers gives you an independent trip two pole solution
I wonder where would you want independent trip with handle tie. May be for a subpanel?

So, it seems what I want is a common trip breaker.

the most common one is that the center two poles are common trip and the outside two poles are independent trip.
What I need is 2 240V circuit. So, the one I'm getting has a handle tie between middle 2 and a handle tie between outer 2.

Old 07-15-16, 06:06 PM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
I believe the independent trip quad is a BQ and the common trip quad is a BQC. I'd also recommend the common trip quad for your purposes. Personally, I'd avoid quads and tandems unless I had no other choice.

Old 07-15-16, 06:59 PM
I'd avoid quads and tandems unless I had no other choice.
I agree, mainly due to availability and the price.
But, I have no choice because there are no remaining space. It is going in to 6 space 12 circuit panel and 4 tandems are in use. Regular 30A 2 pole breaker is taking remaining 2 spaces and I need to add another 30A 2 pole circuit.
Getting BQC230230.