First time EMT use questions

Old 07-17-16, 07:48 AM
First time EMT use questions

I'm doing a small project in my garage with EMT conduit. I have two questions (so far -- I'm sure I'll discover more things I don't know after I start!):

1. What are the plastic EMT bushings for? Do they work with the fittings that connect the tubing to boxes (this is what I will be using) or are they only for applications were there is no fitting on the end of the tubing?

2. Since I am only doing a little bit of work with EMT (and may never use it again) I don't want to buy a lot of specialized tools if I can avoid it. I will cut the EMT with a hacksaw. What's the best way to deburr the ends? Is it worth buying a reamer, or just use a file/pliers/Dremel (which of these works best?)?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-16, 07:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you absolutely have to use EMT??? Do you have a bender? Reamer? Why not use Schedule 80 PVC with associated fittings and call it a day?

Old 07-17-16, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
1. What are the plastic EMT bushings for? Do they work with the fittings that connect the tubing to boxes (this is what I will be using) or are they only for applications were there is no fitting on the end of the tubing?
There are a couple of types of bushings. The screw on kind are used in conjunction with an EMT connector and are only required when pulling #4 or larger wire. The kind that you just beat onto the end of a bare pipe is to bush the end if you are sleeving non-metallic cable (NM-b/UF) with EMT for protection. A regular EMT fitting also works fine for this application.

2. Since I am only doing a little bit of work with EMT (and may never use it again) I don't want to buy a lot of specialized tools if I can avoid it. I will cut the EMT with a hacksaw. What's the best way to deburr the ends? Is it worth buying a reamer, or just use a file/pliers/Dremel (which of these works best?)?
I always use a hack saw to cut EMT and can typically cut a stick of 1/2" in under 10 seconds. A good high tension hacksaw with a 32TPI blade works the best. Do not use a tubing cutter!
I love my reamer that goes onto a screwdriver Klein Tools Conduit Reamer-19352 - The Home Depot and will ream up to 1" EMT. however many people just use the ends of their pliers to ream the inside of the pipe. It doesn't have to be perfect, just knock the burs off.

Old 07-17-16, 11:09 AM
I completely agree with Tolyn, a 32-tooth hacksaw blade in a high tension frame is the ONLY way to cut EMT. I also agree with the Klein reamer on the screwdriver to remove the burr, best ten dollars I ever spent. Bonus, if you use the setscrew type of EMT connectors the screwdriver works perfectly.

Bending CAN be almost as much fun as scoring in bowling. You can rent a bender if you don't want to buy one. If you are going to be bending I suggest watching several YouTube videos on the subject.

Old 07-17-16, 08:14 PM
Do you absolutely have to use EMT??? Do you have a bender? Reamer? Why not use Schedule 80 PVC with associated fittings and call it a day?
I think EMT looks better than PVC and doesn't sag. I'm going to use box offset connectors so I don't need to bend anything (wouldn't I have to bend the PVC, or are there offset fittings for that?).

Old 07-17-16, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are PVC offsets.

A box offset is very easy to bend and looks way better than an offset nipple.

Old 07-17-16, 08:18 PM
There are a couple of types of bushings. The screw on kind are used in conjunction with an EMT connector and are only required when pulling #4 or larger wire.
Do these screw-on bushings exist for 1/2" EMT? If so can somebody point me to an example? Would it be worth using with smaller wire even if not required?

Old 07-17-16, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
If you connect the EMT to a metal box you'd use a connector. You could use a screw on bushing inside the box to protect the individual wires. It's not required on smaller conduit sizes.

You'd use a press-on bushing if you were just sleeving a cable like NM-B.

Name:  emt1.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  14.6 KB

Old 07-18-16, 05:09 AM
Thanks! I didn't understand that the screw-on connector protects the wire from the connector, not from the end of the EMT, and so has nothing to do with deburring.