Electrical issues in mobil home park.

Old 07-16-16, 06:44 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical issues in mobil home park.

This will be long and hopefully not too confusing. My first issue was that I only have a 50 amp service ( in a mobile home park) and cannot run my AC with the electric dryer. Now that that is out of the way, my Sister in Law is staying with us and proceeded to do both. I was taking a nap and when I woke up I immediately turned off the dryer only to find that it was running but not heating. I also noticed that the compressor on the AC wasn't running (it should have been). Both are on their own circuit. I then observed that all my kitchen was dead (no breakers tripped). I also found that my bathroom Gfci would not reset (I tripped the GFCI) and using my multimeter I could find no voltage going to it. Any ideas????

Old 07-16-16, 06:48 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You have one dead hot leg. You need to check the main breaker if you have one. Otherwise you need to get get park maintenance involved.

Old 07-16-16, 07:16 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Most often with a mobile home the main breaker is outside someplace not attached to the home.
On the pole, on it's own pedestal ECT.
50 amp.'s that's just asking to electrical issues.
The main cause from what I have seen in real life for fires in mobile home is electrical.
People trying to run window A/C's , space heaters are two of the big ones.
We have at least 3 a year burn up.

Old 07-16-16, 08:16 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Most often with a mobile home the main breaker is outside someplace not attached to the home.
That is what I was thinking but wasn't sure. If you have what Joe describes you need to turn it all the way off then on. if that doesn't help you need to use a multimeter to check for ~240 volts across the legs of the breaker or ask park maintenance for help.

Note all 240 volt equipment must remain off. Any attempt to use 240v equipment can damage 120 volt equipment.

Old 07-17-16, 10:58 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Amperage

What you describe sounds like an RV park.

Old 07-18-16, 03:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
To increase the service size to the MH you'd have to swap out the breaker at the meter, the electrical box main in the MH and the cable that connects the two. Generally everything from the meter to the MH is your responsibility ..... at least that is how it is around here.

btw - welcome to the forums Barney!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: