Whole house voltage regulation and surge protection


Old 07-17-16, 02:51 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole house voltage regulation and surge protection

Hello, I live in Mexico - recently moved - and while I really like where I'm living, it's very frustrating dealing with the power.

Fundamentally it's essentially the same as American power (no converting plugs are necessary and all American devices work here), but it's way less reliable and consistent. Every time there is a light rain the voltage can fluctuate up to 140 volts or down as low as 90 volts. Storms cause lots of surges, and even in normal usage it tends to fluctuate and spike.

We have quite a few independent voltage regulators and surge protectors but I'd like to solve the problem centrally. But I'm entirely ignorant regarding these matters.

Is there a single device that regulates power for an entire house and provides surge protection? If someone can point me to a device and brand/type I can try to figure out my energy usage and shop 'sizes'. I travel semi-frequently back to the US so I can buy it there and take it with me if they don't ship to Mexico (most places don't). I just don't know the first place to look.

Eventually we would also like to hook in a solar battery or generator for the almost-as-frequent power outages, but that's less of an issue than just getting smooth and consistent power when it's operational.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-16, 03:10 PM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,317
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You may be shocked by how much it will cost to fix a whole house feed.

AVR Guide: Tap Changing Voltage Regulator Operation - UST

If you are dealing with 90V input your motors, refrigerator, air conditioner compressors, etc will not be happy. Storm surges are technically another matter and an auto-tap transformer will not help that.

If you are seriously considering a local power generation, like wind or solar the options grow.
You could convert all incoming AC power from CFE into DC to charge batteries. Other, off-line sources of power can be added as needed. You will need large inverters to convert the DC back to 60Hz. This has the potential to fix both the regulation and the surge issue. You will be looking at a large outlay in capital and some engineering design.
Old 07-18-16, 05:57 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 12,930
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
Google "whole house voltage stabilizer" or "whole house voltage regulator" However there is still that sticker shock.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: