GFCI stopped working

Old 07-17-16, 07:33 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI stopped working

Every outlet after a GFCI in my kitchen stopped working without warning. I have since replaced the GFCI with a new one but still nothing. The little green light is even lit meaning its wired correctly as stated in the instructions that came in the box. Any ideas? I'm no electrician but I can do basic things I learned from my Dad who is an electrition. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-17-16, 07:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Check the connections on the load side of the GFCI first then check the connections on the next receptacle. If the connections are back stabbed, inserted in to holes in the back of the receptacle, move them to the screws. (Note the connections on the GFCI may appear to be similar to backstabs but they are not. They use a plate tightened by a screw. Backstabs are just held by spring "fingers" that can fail over time. GFCI receptacle connections are an okay means of connection. Just be sure they are tight.)

Old 07-17-16, 08:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Have you reset the reset button the the gfi?

Old 07-17-16, 08:21 PM
A
Thanks Ray, I will try that and yes first thing I tried was to reset....the button will not push in to reset.

Old 07-17-16, 09:26 PM
the button will not push in to reset.
It won't reset if there is no power to the GFCI receptacle. Try turning the breaker all the way off then on.

Old 07-17-16, 11:09 PM
A
I've also done that...
Maybe a bad breaker? Had a similar problem with a ceiling fan stopped working...could be related. Might be time to call a pro. Very old house with a "master electrician " for a previous owner. Notice the quotations.

Old 07-18-16, 03:09 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
Maybe a bad breaker?
In post #1 you said you had a green light, the breaker cannot be bad. I suspect you lost the neutral to the device. What is the circuit voltage that is connected to the GFCI device?

Old 07-27-16, 06:40 PM
A
Happy to say I now have power in my kitchen, I found a kinked white wire that must have been broken. Everything works after replacing it. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-27-16, 06:45 PM
Thank you for letting us know what the problem was. It may help someone else. Good job. Do you have aluminum wiring? Breaking is more common with aluminum.

Old 07-27-16, 07:47 PM
A
May have spoke too soon, Just now my cell phone charger was plugged into that outlet and started blinking off and on. Tried other chrgers and same thing. Tried a lamp, a toatser, and coffee machine....all work fine without shutting off or tripping. What the heck?

Old 07-28-16, 11:17 AM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
Just now my cell phone charger was plugged into that outlet and started blinking off and on. Tried other chrgers and same thing. Tried a lamp, a toatser, and coffee machine....all work fine without shutting off or tripping.
Interesting........Ray had asked if you have aluminum wiring? Do you? Who is the manufacturer of your panel? Your problem sounds a little like what happens when a Zinsco or Zinsco style Sylvania panel is at it's beginning of the end.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: