Coleman 5kw Powermate not putting out voltage

Old 07-19-16, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Coleman 5kw Powermate not putting out voltage

The other day we had a power outage so I started my generator only to find that it was not putting out proper voltage. I checked the brushes and cleaned where they rub and restarted it this morning. For about 15 seconds my voltmeter indicated 120 volts and 59.9 cps. I pulled the plug that I had the voltmeter attached to and plugged it into the other outlet. It read 7 volts. I removed the plug and plugged it back into the original outlet and it read 4 volts.

I have reflashed the field with a 6 volt battery. The 10 hp engine runs perfectly. The wiring inside the cover that holds the brushes and diodes looks fine. The two circuit breakers appear to be working properly according to my ohm meter. The two diodes attached to the heat sink show infinite resistance one way and about 550 ohms the other way.

The unit was purchased in 1994 and maybe has 8 hours of time on it. Last time I ran it worked perfectly as usual.

Any suggestions as to what I should check?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-16, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
Do you have a corded drill? If so try using it to flash it again.

Old 07-19-16, 08:21 AM
Yes, I have a Black and Decker 120 V AC electric drill. I'm afraid you are going to have to expound on this. Thanks.

Old 07-19-16, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
Try "Google". There are lots of descriptions and videos how to flash a generator using a drill.

Old 07-19-16, 10:57 AM
The AC drills you allude to are more modern than what I have which is a 1958 model. It does not have a permanent magnet in it. By the way the last attempt showed the generator was putting out slightly over 4V AC at 185 hz. Guess my generator is shot.

Old 07-19-16, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
What's the model number of that generator ?

Many times you'll find Coleman gennys on craigs list with blown engines. Good way to get a generator head.

Old 07-20-16, 07:06 AM
It's a Coleman Powermate MAXA 5000 ER

Old 07-21-16, 04:06 AM
Finally found instructions about how to check stator continuity. Mine is shot. It's time for a new generator. Thinking about a tandem pair of inverter types.

Old 07-21-16, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
If considering inverter type generators get ready for the price. I have two Honda EU2000i and one EU3000i. The newest is 5 years old and they all still start easily and purr like a kitten when running. You've gust gotta be prepared for sticker shock.

I tend to prefer the Honda's over some other colored generators that offer "flashy gimmicks" like digital fuel level gauges and digital power output meters. Personally I consider stuff like that as just one more thing that can fail. But other brands are less expensive. I have friends with a blue and an orange one and they've both brought them to me to get running. They were mostly owner neglect by letting them sit for long periods with gas in the carburetors but it's an issue I've not had with any of my Hondas including my other Honda powered equipment that sits long periods without use.