Converting a 4 way to a 3 way and separate switch.

Old 07-20-16, 10:47 AM
Converting a 4 way to a 3 way and separate switch.

I have a 4 way circuit where I want to convert one of the boxes that we never use to a switch for some new lights that I am adding. So I know the circuit would go from 4-way to 3-way and I need input on that, but also input on using the eliminated box for a new switch. There are other switches in the box that is being converted if that makes a difference in my options to power the new switch. Thanks for any and all help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-16, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Tell us the wiring and connections in each of the 3-way and 4-way switch boxes.

Old 07-20-16, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
With a four way circuit..... the four way switch is always in between the two three way switches.

In the following diagram is a basic four way switch layout. If you're planning to remove the four way switch then you'd combine the two sets of wires together. If you're looking at the diagram it would be the two whites and the two blacks. Then you'd have 2) three way switches controlling the lights BUT you would not have the advantage of taking power from those two connected pairs.

If you wanted to remove one of the three way switches then the wiring would become complicated as you'd have to swap a three way switch in place of the four way one.

Name:  4_WAY.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  12.9 KB

We can help you further when you answer Ray's questions.

Old 07-21-16, 03:30 PM
OK, Thank you SO much for the responses. I need to go home and do some checking so I can answer your questions. Your responses already have been helpful in letting me know what it is I should be seeing. Thank you, I will respond with answers.