Buying wire & conduit at electrical supply house

Old 07-21-16, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buying wire & conduit at electrical supply house

I need to buy THHN and Liquid Tight metal conduit today. I don't want to look like an idiot when I'm ordering. I'm not that familiar with the different terminology. Do I just say that I need 30' of black, white, and green THHN? Do I need to mention anything else? Is it worth getting SIMpull THHN if they sell it there?

What about the liquid tight metal conduit? If I just ask for it in 3/4", will they know what I mean, or are there different types?

I am probably over thinking this, but I appreciate any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-16, 09:32 AM
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
If you are worried about looking like an idiot then you should just go to a big box store as you will probably know more than them.

Otherwise at a SH just say you have a project and what it is for. Call it wire - solid or stranded and wire gauge. Spools of 50' as most don't cut the small stuff.

Old 07-21-16, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I would have gone to Home Depot or Lowes, but they don't have what I need. At my stores, they only sell liquid tight metal conduit in 50' quantities. I had emailed the electrical supply store near me, and their minimum is 2'. I need such a small amount, and I don't want to have all that extra.

Old 07-21-16, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Actual THHN is a rare bird. They may not have it. They probably have THHN/THWN. I'd suggest asking for THWN.

Old 07-21-16, 12:53 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Most supply houses will cut what ever length of wire you want and usually much cheaper than the Big Box stores.

Old 07-21-16, 04:18 PM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
Otherwise at a SH just say you have a project and what it is for. Call it wire - solid or stranded and wire gauge. Spools of 50' as most don't cut the small stuff.
I have never seen a supply house that sells THHN wire in spools smaller than 500 feet in sizes #8 through #16 and never have I seen one that sells #10 or smaller by the foot.

At my stores, they only sell liquid tight metal conduit in 50' quantities.
Check again, I have seen packages as small as 15 feet of 3/4" and 1/2" metallic liquidtight at the box stores. If you need 1" or larger, go to a supply house and they'll probably sell it by the foot.

I'd also recommend a box store.

Old 07-21-16, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
I would second what CasualJoe said. Most suppliers will only sell full spools for the smaller conductors.

Old 07-22-16, 08:49 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Most SH here will cut what ever length you want ,do it all the time.

Old 07-22-16, 02:59 PM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
It may all be a moot point anyway because most supply houses won't sell to the general public anyway. I do know of a few execptions to that though. I do know of a smaller local chain of perhaps 20 to 30 stores that will sell to the public, but they use a different multiplier and are basically charguing retail prices to general public customers. A box store would be cheaper.

Old 07-22-16, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There is a appliance parts supply house here and unless you bring proof of being in the business they add 20% to the bill. When I did apartment maintenance I had to bring in water bills from the apartment building as proof I worked for the apartment owner.