Questions About Circuit Breaker Box

Old 07-22-16, 07:22 AM
Questions About Circuit Breaker Box

Recently my 22 year old 5KW generator failed (stator bad) and I'm going to buy an inverter type generator to replace it. My old generator put out 240 V so plugging it into my 240 V welding outlet in the basement would power the entire house with AC units shut off. The inverter generators only put out 120 V but have two outlets. Would it be possible to make up the three pronged plug with 120 V from each generator outlet (one hot 120 V to each hot side of 240 plug) plus the ground on the third part of the plug. That way I can have 120 V (in phase) on each side of the breaker box. My water heater, furnaces, and stovetop are gas. The oven is electric but it would not be used. There are no other 240 V users in the house. I don't see a problem with this hookup. Do you?

My second question concerns the breaker box. I have unused positions on each side of the box. Is there a plug in device sold that can be placed in a breaker position but is a female receptacle instead of a breaker? That way I could make up a male-male grounded plug and directly connect the new generator.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-16, 08:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The big problem is your use of a suicide cord and the lack of the required interlock. You cannot rely on turning off the main breaker to kill power going upstream. You have been creating a potentially deadly condition.

Old 07-22-16, 08:44 AM
I've done it for 22 years when needed which is about once a year. Why can't one rely on the main breaker to kill power going upstream? "Suicide cord" term suggests danger to me. Maybe you should have said homicide cord.

Old 07-22-16, 09:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
An interlock is required by the electrical code.

Homicide or suicide. Does it matter? Someone is dead because the proper materials and procedures and rules were not followed.

Old 07-22-16, 09:26 AM
Guess my questions are not going to be answered here. One answer is common sense. The other requires an internet search for a product to determine if such exists.

Old 07-22-16, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generator interlock and brackets are available from a variety of sources including the panel manufacturer.

Old 07-22-16, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
The other requires an internet search for a product to determine if such exists.
It doesn't exist because it would be a code violation and dangerous to use. It is easy to do the right and safe way so why not do it that way?

Old 07-22-16, 10:12 AM
Lawrence, if you are looking for someone to sprinkle holy water on your UNLAWFUL and DANGEROUS project you will not find them on this forum. The fact that you have "gotten away with" your UNLAWFUL procedure for twenty or more years is irrelevant. All that means is that you, or someone else if you are unable for any reason to do the change-over yourself, are closer than ever to making a mistake, one that could be FATAL.

Old 07-22-16, 10:51 AM
This thread should be ended.