Need some advice: is this wiring safe ?

Old 07-23-16, 06:36 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need some advice: is this wiring safe ?

Hello,
I am from Scotland, been married to Philippine wife for 21 years, I am opening a small live music/disco bar in the Philippines.

I have little faith of the local electricians in my area & just wanted to see if this is acceptable.

I am more mechanically but have the basic electrical understandings.

On our ceiling we have multiple lights, the usual discs stuff, the local electrician made a switch board with 10 single pole switches, the supply has no earth, just hot & neutral, (but all power sockets for stage will be earthed for live music applications).

Below is my very poor drawing of what he is intending to do, it just worries me that 10 neutral wires will all be linked.

It maybe acceptable practice & I'm worrying about nothing but I would like to put my mind at rest & hopefully hear from some of you more experienced people.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Ian.

Attached Images  
Old 07-23-16, 07:08 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Neutrals tied together would not be a problem,what is the load on the circuit,rating of the switches,here state side grounds would be required for switches and lights.

Old 07-23-16, 07:33 AM
I
Thanks for the reply, happy to hear this.

The light switch board is being fed off a 15amp breaker, I don't know the exact load of all lights, but it's not high, the lights are not very powerful, 5 of them are basic 40W bulbs, 2 laser boxes, a big spot but it's LED so not high power, I will try to total everything up tomorrow (if everything has it's information stickers) but I think the 15amp breaker should be ok.

It's frustrating here as I am also a musician & regular perform in my own bars but nobody uses earths in their establishments, I have to insist they put it in my bar(s), especially on the sockets used on stage.

This new bar is on 3rd floor, also on the main street, finding a place to sink an earth rod will not be easy, is it possible to use the existing galvanised steel water pipes?

Thanks again.

Old 07-23-16, 08:29 AM
Your OK IMO. Remember in a circuit the neutral wire must never be broken.
If you want to switch a light fixture or a receptacle, you break the hot wire and never the neutral.

I lived in PI in the 80's for about 4 years, Olongapo and Angeles City. If you don't trust the electrician, I would trust local guitar players or band members. As you know they are very good and know what power they need.

Old 07-23-16, 09:21 AM
I
Thanks Handyone & Geochurchi.

I'm guessing it's not good to use the galvanised steel water pipe as the earth?

Old 07-23-16, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
If all the band equipment uses two prong plugs then ground is not a major issue.

Old 07-23-16, 11:38 AM
I
Hi PJmax,
It's more like acoustic bands (no drums), I supply everything, it's just set-up permanently, I also supply 3 semi-acoustic guitars, 1 semi-acoustic bass guitar, a beat box & 5 mic's.
PA is 2 X 600W powered full range cabs
2 X 1000W bass bins
2 X 300W powered monitors
1 X 2000W Power amp for bass bins
1 X 16 track mixer.
Plus a vocal harmoniser for solo acts (like me).
All equipment is relatively new (1 year) & in "as new" condition.
Almost all my equipment is from oversea's & has 3 prong plugs, I have used it in places with no earth & we often get small but annoying electric shocks on the lips as we get close to the mic, it stops shocking you if you are holding a guitar & touching the guitar strings.

I once took the mixer & a monitor to a guy's house to teach him some guitar & it was like playing with needles & pins in my left hand, constantly buzzing with electricity.

So my equipment for sure needs an earth/ground.

Old 07-23-16, 12:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Not familiar with PI wiring, but in the US the ground rod has nothing to do with grounding a switch or receptacle. Grounding devices is done with a grounding conductor run with the circuit back to the panel.

Old 07-23-16, 07:15 PM
I
Hi pcboss,

I'm not bothered about the switches not having a ground, the earth rod is for all the power outlets on the stage.

Does it have to be a copper rod in the ground or is it possible to use existing galvanised steel water pipes? I'm on 3rd floor of main street, earth rod will be difficult as would have to first drill through pavement.

Old 07-24-16, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
A ground rod is useless you what you need. You need a grounding conductor run with the circuit conductors from the panel or a metallic wiring means like conduit.

Old 07-24-16, 05:48 PM
I
Thanks again pcboss, I found a different electrician & he says the same as you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: