Half wall of bedroom and whole closet not getting power.

Old 07-25-16, 12:21 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Half wall of bedroom and whole closet not getting power.

I'm confused on this one. Half of our bedroom outlets lost power, the rest run fine.. We bought a plug in tester, and it's reading hot/neutral reversed in all of the 6 outlets not working, I removed and replaced all of those outlets and even the light switch outlet in the closet.. If I plug my wife's flat iron into one of the outlets the power light on it comes on but it does not get enough power to heat the flat iron. At one point all of the outlets tested fine, until something was plugged into one, then when tested they would again read hot/neutral reversed.

We have 5 working outlets on one half of the bedroom, the other half including the closet has 6 reading hot/neutral reversed. Bedroom light/fan and closet light does not work. I have the hand stick that came with the plug in tester, and when I run it against the wall, the outlets, and the light fixtures it's lights up saying there is power. Any ideas? The bedroom is on a 20v breaker.

I have yet to check the working outlets, should I? Could one of those be causing the problem but still work fine itself?

Old 07-25-16, 02:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
We bought a plug in tester, and it's reading hot/neutral reversed in all of the 6 outlets not working, I removed and replaced all of those outlets and even the light switch outlet in the closet
Not the best way to test. An analog multimeter would have been better. The plug-in testers sometimes give false readings. In this case you probably actually had an open neutral. Nothing to go bad in a regular receptacle so nothing gained by replacing them except in the act of redoing the connection.

You have a bad connection either at a working outlet (an outlet can be a light or receptacle or switch) or a non working outlet. Any back stabs need to be moved to the screws. All wire nut connections need to be redone. Have you read: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html

Old 07-25-16, 05:23 PM
M
Thank you for the reply. All outlets are hooked up to the screws, so I know that's not the problem. We replaced the ceiling fan, that now works fine. Still no power to the outlets. Tomorrow we will be checking all of the working outlets, light switches and fixtures.

Old 07-26-16, 10:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Do you know how the circuit flows? Problems like this are almost always at the last working or first non-working fixture in the circuit.

Old 07-26-16, 12:36 PM
We bought a plug in tester, and it's reading hot/neutral reversed in all of the 6 outlets not working
Since your receptacles have lost power, the tester should be dead, not reading reversed neutral.

I would guess a mistake was made when installing the ceiling fan, unless there was only one cable in the ceiling. Even though the fan works, there were probably other wires in the ceiling box that were connected wrong.

Old 07-26-16, 01:53 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I would guess a mistake was made when installing the ceiling fan
So would I. Tell us how many 2-conductor cables (black, white) and how many 3-conductor cables (black, red, white) at the fan and how you connected the wires.

Explanation: Often power to other parts of the house will originate at a ceiling box. If so then the fan or light at the ceiling box is controlled by a switch loop. You do not just connect color to color in this case. You have a black wire connected to a white and it is very important which blacks go to each other and which black goes to the light and which to the white.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-26-16 at 03:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: