Thermador Wall Heater

Old 07-28-16, 01:01 AM
B
BGC
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermador Wall Heater

I have a bathroom with a Thermador Radiant Wall Heater, vintage 1960. The switch failed long ago. I removed it from the wall and disconnected the 2 wires, attached wire nuts and reattached to wall. I don't want to restore it or replace it. The Electrical question is: is what I described safe or do I have to terminate the wire leads in a box? And, any ideas on using the wall space if I completely remove the heater? The void in the wall is about 18" x 14" x 5". I was thinking about using the electricity available to provide power to a waterproof flatscreen television or some other electronic device. Thanks for any comments.

Old 07-28-16, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
If you want to keep the wires live, you will then need to install an accessible box. The wires can remain caped off in the box. Be sure to check the voltage to see if it is 120 volt or 240 volt.

If you want to abandon the wires you need to disconnect them from their source and cut them short so they can not be reconnected. You can then just abandon them in the wall as is.

Old 07-28-16, 12:02 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Being in a bathroom, I would probably just abandon the cable as Tolyn described and re-sheetrock. Most people don't need more electronics in their bathroom.

Unless you want one of those swanky new electronic toilets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: