Main 50A C/B for Mobile home

Old 07-31-16, 03:18 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Main 50A C/B for Mobile home

I want to install a Condensing unit (2.5 T) and an evap coil in the provided enclosure area of my Coleman down-flow furnace. Many residents in the park have A/C despite the fact that most all Main C/Bers are rated at 50A. The electrical pedestal that houses the 50A main breaker also has room(currently open for usage) for two single pole circuit breakers, one to the Main Breaker's left and one positioned at it's right. If tabs from left to right were labeled 1-2-3-4 the Main 50A is positioned at tab #2 and tab #3. My question is this. Can I replace the 50A Main breaker with a 30/50 QUAD for the purpose of supplying power to the Condensing unit that I want to install next the the pedestal there. There is a sub-panel of course for all the other circuits that does have electrical space but it is a long way off distance wise. Is it legal to have the 50A portion of a QUAD to be used as the Main C/B at the pedestal? The total amp draw of the structure I will of course have to assess as I of course know that 50A is indeed a small number. p.s. is there a way that I can legally re-configure the four tabs (if parts are available) for the Main Breaker enclosure to accept two full C/Bers? A 30 A C/B and a 50A C/B. The neighbor has the same pedestal enclosure and has contained in it a full size 30A for the A/C and a full size 50A breaker positioned next to it for the Main. I don't know it was accomplished. I suppose I could ask the neighbor if I could remove their cover plate and take a "peek." Thanx in advance.

Old 07-31-16, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
The 50A to the residence will stay the same as your condensor will be connected at the "main disconnect" panel.

Most panels are set up like this.... which is why the main is in the middle.
A -- A --B -- B
1 -- 2 -- 3 -- 4

While some are set up like this... in which case the main breaker could be relocated.
A -- B -- A -- B
1 -- 2 -- 3 -- 4

I don't like using quad breakers as mains. Not sure what the code says on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: