Main panel question

Old 08-27-16, 07:53 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main panel question

I have a siemens main breaker panel and have a question on the neutral and ground bars. The bare nuetral from the service entrance enters the house and is attached to the bar on the right of the panel. There is a green screw next to this that goes into the panel. This bar also is tied to the ground bar on the right side of the panel with a tie strap. The ground bar on the left hand side of the panel DOES NOT have the green screw. There are also "extra" ground bars screwed directly to the panel on both the lower left and lower right side of the panel.

My question is can grounds be connected to the bar on the left side of the panel? The electrician who wired this has only nuetrals going to both the bars on the left and right and all the grounds going to the "extra" ground bars. Did they just do this to be neat?

I instaled a subpabel and put the neutral from the subpanel to the right bar in the main and the ground from the sub to the bar kn the right but now am questioning if i shoukd have put the ground to one of the "extra" ground bars.

I will add a picture in a minute.

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-27-16, 08:01 AM
A
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
yes, a picture will help. Also, please confirm, even though you call this your main panel, that there is no disconnect between this panel and the meter; breaker or anything like that. This will determine how this "main" panel should be wired, neutral and grounds etc.

Also, please explain how the panel is grounded; where the ground wire goes; to the incoming main water lin?, and if you have ground rods?

Old 08-27-16, 08:05 AM
P
Received 125 Votes on 99 Posts
If first point of disconnect the main panel has the neutrals and grounds bonded (green screw) so the grounds can technically be put on any one of the bars. Just don't put more than one neutral wire in a lug and don't share a lug by putting a neutral and a ground wire together in the same lug. The subpanel has the neutrals isolated from the grounds (no green screw), so the subpanel needs a separate ground bar for the ground wires.

Old 08-27-16, 08:13 AM
H
A -is the neutral from the service entrance

B is the bonding screw

C - No screw on this side

E - Looks to me like the nuetral

D - I thought this was the ground but the electrician only has white nuetral wires connected

F and F - extra ground bars that the electrician has all grounds going to

The black wire next to C is where i had connected the ground from the subpanel.

Upon further review it looks like there is a bare copper wire connected to the bar (D) on the rights. I believe this goes outside to the grounding rod.

This is the only disconnect between the service entrance. There is a meter on the outside of the house but i do not know what what is inside this.Name:  mainpanel.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  50.5 KB

Old 08-27-16, 09:03 AM
H
Generator inlet box ground

I have a question on where i should put the vround from my inlet box. The entry into the main panel is on the right. The ground bar (that has the ground wire to groudong rod) is on the left. There are also addon ground bars om the right. Can i add this to the extra groind bar on the right and the nuetral to to neutral on the right as to keep them separate. Or do i have to run this around the panel to the ground on the left.

Old 08-27-16, 09:23 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
You may connect the incoming ground and neutral wires, including those from generator inlets (male receptacles) to the nearest ground and neutral bus bars respectively.

Don't forget that the hot wires from a generator inlet must be connected to an appropriate transfer switch or mechanically interlocked breaker set. A whole-house transfer switch output cable becomes the feed cable for the panel that can receive generator power.

Old 08-27-16, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
That looks like the two bars are connected together internally which means they are combo ground/neutral bars. Only one green bond screw is required.

Name:  mainpanel.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  48.0 KB

Old 08-27-16, 11:32 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have merged your threads because they are closely related.
I have a question on where i should put the vround from my inlet box. The entry into the main panel is on the right. The ground bar (that has the ground wire to groudong rod) is on the left.
Based on previous replies your panel does not have a separate ground bar. It only has two combination ground/neutral bars so it can go on either bar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: