Gfci breaker not working after Service neutral dropped

Old 09-05-16, 02:00 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gfci breaker not working after Service neutral dropped

Long story short I had my POCO service out because of flickering lights and energized pipes and found a bad neutral on their side of the meter. I had a short inside the house when 2 metal braided hoses from the washer touched and actually popped open a surge protector. During my initial troubleshooting I was flipping breakers and everything worked or at least had power.

So BGE comes out disconnects meter until crew can fix the bad neutral, which they have done. All power works great minus the 2 circuits that are on the GFCI Breakers. I have tried to reset them both (flip all the way off) and then back ON only to have them either pop back or stay what looks to be ON but a little flick will move it back into the middle/off position. Neither test buttons work. There r no GFI outlets in the house.

Any reasons why both GFCI Breakers will not work now when they did before BGE pulled the meter/service feed? Could plugs on both circuits have been damaged? But why did they work before BGE pulled the meter? Could the breakers each be bad or been damaged?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-16, 02:10 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Also my Hot Stick picks up nothing from any of the wires leaving either GFCI breaker during any flipping or turning ON.

Old 09-05-16, 02:13 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Could plugs on both circuits have been damaged?
They would be receptacles not plugs and plain receptacles just don't usually go bad. GFCI's though contain electronics that can go bad. Disconnect the wire from each of the GFCI breakers and see if they will reset. If not replace the breakers.

Old 09-05-16, 06:18 AM
P
Received 94 Votes on 74 Posts
It the breakers are bad see if you can file a claim with the POCO for replacement.

Old 09-05-16, 08:13 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Also my Hot Stick picks up nothing
If you mean a non contact tester they are generally useless for real testing but in this case may be correct.

Old 09-05-16, 02:04 PM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
All power works great minus the 2 circuits that are on the GFCI Breakers
Who is the manufacturer of the panel and GFCI circuit breakers and how old are they? They could still be under warranty.